Topic

I know it’s not Tater Tuesday, but…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition I know it’s not Tater Tuesday, but…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Dicentra OPW

@dicentra

Locale: PNW

Chili Cheese Mashed Potatoes
    Serves 1

This would also be good in a wrap with some black beans and salsa.

1/2 cup butter flavor instant mashed potatoes
    1 teaspoon chili powder
    2 tablespoons cheese powder

At home: combine all of the ingredients in a zip locking plastic bag.

In camp: add about 1 cup of hot water. Stir well and enjoy.

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

There was some discussion earlier about not being able to find cheese powder so I have an idea.

If you were to use a cheese flavored instant mashed potato mix then you might be able to get away without having the cheese powder.

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

How about adding actual…cheese? :-)

There are many varieties that travel well and keep indefinitely, and when chunked and mixed in give mashers a nice chewy consistency instead of nothin' but goo.

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Some people want it really lightweight. I'd probably end up taking real cheese too. That said, there are circumstances where real cheese isn't feasible (food mailings for example).

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Nah, just get Laughing Cow cheese in the large wheels (there are 8 wedges inside). It is what I often call for in my meals. The stuff is shelf stable as well and is real.

As for cheese sauce powder? Good stuff. You can though use freeze dried or shelf stable Parmesan instead. Both are easily found.

So yes, you can do mail drops with real cheese.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> there are circumstances where real cheese isn't feasible (food mailings for example)
    Not true – at least here in Australia. We can get sealed packets of cheese and the wax-sealed Baby Bells, which will keep quite well. We can also get tinned butter which keeps for years.
    I suspect that hard cheeses like parmesan would also keep if sealed up.
    Now finding a real Camembert which will keep for years … that's HARD! But I have seen tinned ones which will keep for a while: exclude air and the maturation process stalls.

Cheers

Christopher Holden
    BPL Member

@back2basics

Locale: Southeast USA

Roger,
    There are tinned cheeses made by Bega or Red Feather. Survivalists buy them for long term food storage lasting many years. "scryos35" on the US Ebay sells in bulk. I think he gets them from Australia. I've bought a few other things from him with good results, but never tried the cheese.
    Chris

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

I meant feasibility from a weight/space perspective (cost of food mailings for thru-hikers and pack weight space). My fault for not being more specific.

As far as cheese goes you can also wax your own and certain types can be dried/rehydrated easily. So long term storage isn't a big deal.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Many thru-hikers who use bounce boxes/mailings use the Flat Rate boxes. They are way cheap for the weight you can cram in them.

But even then….from talking to a number of long distance hikers mail drops are falling out of favor (especially on the AT) – often the towns are getting better for choices.

Having said that I carry real cheese often. Worst is it gets mold on the outside. Trim it off and keep munching.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> There are tinned cheeses made by Bega or Red Feather.
    Bega is an Australian brand.
    So is Red Feather, although I am not sure whether they make cheese or butter – or both.
    Kraft also make a tinned cheese – supposed to last forever.

Cheers

Dicentra OPW

@dicentra

Locale: PNW

Velveta.

Yeah. That's right. I said it.

(for the record I don't really consider that *real* cheese)

King Arthur Flour carries Vermont Cheddar powder
    http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/detail.jsp?select=C78&byCategory=C292&id=1223

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Heh! That stuff is soooo cool and gross at the same time ;-)

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

I'll never forget my managing editor saying "that [Velveeta] is not fit for human consumption". A little harsh but one has to wonder about "cheese" with such a long shelf life.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

The ironic thing about Velveeta is that it is low in cholesterol. Its first ingredient is milk as well.

Ingredients: MILK, WATER, MILKFAT, WHEY, WHEY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, SODIUM PHOSPHATE, MILK PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, ALGINATE, SODIUM CITRATE, APOCAROTENAL (COLOR), ANNATTO (COLOR), ENZYMES, CHEESE CULTURE.

Not too bad actually! That and nothin' melts like it. Makes me want to get a brick and make some dip. ;-)

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

It does melt beautifully. We make a dip with it on more basecamp type trips. We take equal parts Velveeta and salsa and melt it carefully. Served with tortilla chips it is a real hit.

Wesley Witt
    Spectator

@weswitt

Locale: Northwest

Why not use some cheese powder from a box of Kraft Mac'n Cheese? I've never tried it, but it is cheap and would probably taste good.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools