Topic

make a pocket puck (dial up users beware)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear make a pocket puck (dial up users beware)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

I dont know quite how tinny at mini bull degigns dose it but I found out a way to do it my self
    you will need 2 cans, a thumb tack, a utility knife, Jb weld, needle nose pliers a rubber mallot, and I found some sort of sheet metal in my garage.

you should have some experience with making stoves before attempting this project

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

you will first need to cut the bottom out of a can

then punch 18-24 holes around the sides

cut about an inch from the bottom

and roll up the metal to fit tightly in the can

flatten with the mallot

next step is to make the inner wall
    flatten another can for the bottom

put JB weld on it

and fit the three peices together

0.4oz

when using this stove I recomend the use of a priming pan

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

Good job there young RyanF. have you done any timing tests with it?

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

I have not tested the one I made with these pictures because I am out of HEET. but the green one shown made of Sprite cans, I made a few weeks ago and I have tested. I did not time it but I am guessing it is similar to the mini bull designs pocket puck.

when testing it the first time I found it did not work well without a priming pan and for it to work I had to wait a wile for it to warm up but this wastes feul, I thought at first it was a failure in my design but after reading some other reveiws of people who have purchased the stove I found that they had the same problem. but with the priming pan it works great

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ryan

Nice but if you don’t mind here are a few suggestions.

Use a Dremel Tool to cut and smooth out the top half of your stove (You’ll be surprised at how much faster this procedure is and by the results)

If you aren’t already using a Zen Template for the hole spacing I suggest that as well. Again using the Dremel to fast and efficiently drill the holes in the side of your stove.

I like your idea on flattening the stoves top with a mallet!

In making the sidewalls I prefer to use a Nibbler Tool to cut the channels that allow the alcohol to feed into the inner chamber. Try not to make these to big remember your trying to build pressure between the 2 walls and cutting the channels to high defeats that purpose. Also JB Weld the inner wall tightly to the top of the stove (Tight fit = more pressure, more pressure = better efficiency)

These changes will still allow you to build a more professional looking, fuel-efficient, sub 0.4 ounce stove in less time and trouble.

Best regards,
    FastWalker

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

good tips,

I have been looking into getting a tool like this.

and using a template would help. I have never used one before, I just wing it, but it certainly would help.

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

this is made from an arizona co. can

with this you will not need a seperate pot stand.

about .2oz

Anonymous

I think i`ll try this stove

good job RyanF

Anonymous

This stoves begs the question: why make it an open jet stove? If everyone, tinny, you, anti gravity, all recomend the use of a priming pan, why not make it easier on yourselves and just make it a pressureized stove. The hardest part of making an open jet stove is the inner sleeve and cutting the bottom out of the can. the whole purpose is to be able to use the stove w/o a priming pan. To have to use the priming pan negates the advantage of the open center port.

Just my thoughts as a fellow alcohol stove enthusiast. Nice job, btw. I’ve been wanting to try flattening a can for a while now, as top burners though. My idea is to make the holes all on the inner diamter of the top, and hopefully come up with a simmer attachment that’s the right diameter to drop into the newly formed groove on the top.

BM

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

you can use this stove without a priming pan but it takes a wile to warm up so I add one to speed it up, but you are right, Ill try making a pressurized version.

your idea sounds great but you will need a seperate pot stand:-)>

paul johnson

@pj

Off the top of my head, Tinny already has at least three stoves with the holes on the inner diameter of the top.

That’s not to say that your design won’t be different. Also, from my perspective, at least, there is always room for yet another alcohol stove design.

hope you’ll post Pics of your creation when you’re done, so we can all admire your work.

Anonymous

Here’s a link to a photo gallery of my creations. I’m an addict. I do plan on selling a few on ebay to support my hobby, but I will also not keep any secrets. I’d be happy to explain my process to anyone who asks.

http://gallery.outdoorreview.com/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=235479

BM

paul johnson

@pj

BMadau,

thanks for sharing. some interesting designs. nice flame pattern (and a lot of flame too). good work.

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

I have a similarly sized collection.
    why no side burners?

my favorite stove I made is a side burner I made from a single V8 can
    (similar to MBD elite)

Anonymous

I made a few low pressure side burners. The look cool in use but I don’t like the performance that much. Overall, I don’t like side burners. I don’t like the narrow perch of a stove to set my pot on. I much prefer the combination windscreen pot stand method, than the aluminum foil windscreen and stove/pot stand. For the same reason, I don’t like brasslite style either. I don’t want to sound like I’m bad mouthing them, they are all very nice products, but just not my preference. It’s not very likely that I can accidentally tip my pot off of my potstand.

Since I just jumped in here, I supposed I should introduce myself. I’m an avid mountain biker, never really camped before, but want to. I’m really attracted to the idea of bicycle camping, and in doing research on the subject ran across the pepsi G stove on the PCTHiker.com site. That same day I made a really crappy stove, and my addiction began. Now I scour trash cans here at work looking for red-bull cans. I get plenty of 12oz cans from home, but don’t dring red bull. I get ridiculed enough by my co-workers, but surprisingly, a few of them also have family members that make these things. Now I’m begging my co-workers to drink heinekin in the keg cans and fosters (since I don’t drink)and bring me their empties.

BM

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools