Topic

MYOG – 1.5 Ounce Briefs

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG – 1.5 Ounce Briefs

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

I just finished making my first pair of Boxer/Briefs. I call them that since the legs are longer than on my true briefs. They look a little like a bathing suit. Enough like a bathing suit that I might take a picture wearing them and post it.

I made this pair to check my pattern to see how they fit. They are 8" long on the outside of the legs. No fly and cord elastic in the waist band. The sewing part was easy. For this pair I used some Patagonia Silk Weight yardage that I bought from Outdoor Wilderness Fabric.

They call it "Wickway Pique" (Name Brand – ask). It is $5.25 a running yard and comes in a lot of different colors.

Link to catalog page

I am a size medium and the Briefs weigh 1.5 ounces. The size "M" took 0.43 sq yards of material. They fit nice and if you wanted something cheap but Silk Weight Capilene you could go for a pair of these.

The weight for a pair of the briefs using this pattern and my scrap #2 wool would come to about 4 ounces.

peter kvamme

@karacolor

Locale: midwest

These look nice Bill!
    I looked into buying that fabric at one point, but was scared off by the 3-6oz varied weights. Is there some way to choose the 3oz stuff (and is that the silkweight stuff?)

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Thanks Peter,

I would try calling them and ask if they can tell you which are the 3 oz colors. They should be able to tell by the touch or feel.

If that doesn't work I would ask if they would send you samples so you can decide which ones are the light weigh ones.

I have several colors and all of mine are the lighter weight versions of the material.

I have a lot of Capilene items and wear it all the time in the cooler months. Some of it is 10 or more years old. I have had no problem with it smelling. I have never dried any of it in a dryer – only hang dry. In the sun if possible.

For those that have a problem with Capilene smelling after awhile this material is so cheap and the Briefs are so easy to make you could wear them a few months and if they start to smell after being washed when necessary, make a new pair and throw the old ones away. If you are doing the sewing they might cost $1 a pair to make.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

OWFINC will send you labelled swatches of their fabrics with their catalog on request. I think the swatches cost a few dollars, but that way you know exactly whet you are getting.
    Good company too.

Cheers

Peter Atkinson
    BPL Member

@peterbob

Locale: Yorkshire, England

I was thinking of doing some sewing, inspired by Roger, but I think making shreddies is a bit MYOG-hardcore for me!

Frank Perkins

@fperkins

Locale: North East

I'm surprised Bill… wouldn't a cuben fiber g-string be lighter?

Casey Cardwell
    BPL Member

@niles

Locale: On the Dirt in Oregon

LOL!!!

I would love to get some of this fabric, but probably don't need too much. If someone wants to go in together with me we could get the wholesale price and split the order. Let me know.

peter kvamme

@karacolor

Locale: midwest

Casey,
    A wholesale order is 20 yards of one type of fabric, even split a couple ways that would make alot of briefs!

Casey Cardwell
    BPL Member

@niles

Locale: On the Dirt in Oregon

It's true. But a man can never have too many briefs. Besides, there's always t-shirts, long sleeved shirts, long underwear, pillow covers, curtains, decorative pot covers, and what not.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Hi All,

Nice to see this topic has generated some interest even if some of it is a bit on the funny side. Cuben G strings and such – OK.

When you contact OWF ask about the width of the fabric. If I recall without digging out my other colors, some colors come in very wide widths.

I agree that there are a lot of items that could be made out of this fabric and the price sure is right. A vest is next on my list. I have a hood that I made out of this same type of SW Capilene for practice before I made my #2 Merino Wool Hoodie.

MYOG-SW Capilene Hood Project:

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

I was asked this question on my Blog so I thought I would post my reply here also.

====

"I'm trying to tell, the pattern you worked up, do you have the seam running just along the outside of the legs? Aka is your cut pattern somewhat hourglass shaped?"

==

You are correct about the hour-glass shape. The seams are on the "outside" side of the legs. I tried to sew a hem on the leg openings but it didn't turn out as nice as I had hoped. Sewing around a curve is not a strong point of mine. I also did not leave enough of a "hem" allowance to pin it. On the next pair I will try and cut the material so there is no curve at that part.

Making the pattern in "one piece" really made it easy to sew. To make a pattern to fit you I would suggest that you take a pair of your briefs or boxers that you like the fit of and put them on. Decide how long you want the outer sides to be and write that length down. Then measure around your legs at that point for the leg opening and write that down. This would be different for almost everyone. The leg opening has no elastic as I wanted a boxer type leg opening. Also easier since there is no elastic to sew on the material. Measure your waist size, write that down also. Measure from the middle of your waist to your crouch and write that down.

Divide your waist size and leg opening in half. Draw out your pattern using my photo as a guide. Add 1" seam allowance on all outside edges but leave 2 inches at the waist. This extra for the waist is so you have enough room for the draw cord elastic or what ever you use. If you know how to sew elastic – I don't – then use elastic if you want. The width at the crouch or the center part of the "hour-glass" was an estimate but you can see it is, more or less the same, as that area on the white briefs in the photo.

Before you sew anything pin the side seams and try them on. My first pair was to tight so I added 1 inch to each side. You can see in a photo where I added extra to each side on the pattern. Except for the waist all hems are 1/4 to 3/8 inches folded twice to hide the raw edge of the fabric. I fold and pin the hems to make it easier to control the fabric.

If you use the Capilene material it has some stretch in it so if you get close it should be OK. If you can sew then you should be able to go from here. If you don't sew then get some really cheap fabric and practice with it first.
    ==

Pedro Arvy
    BPL Member

@pedroarvy

Locale: Melbourne

Its time to add some bling to your UL underwear.
    I wear women's underwear and it weighs just under 1 oz.
    I found some that basically looks like mens' swimwear without any lacy stuff.
    Its some sort of synthetic and dries really fast.
    You will need a big size, I wear size 18.

Get over your homophobia and try the womens' undies guys.

Tom Caldwell
    BPL Member

@coldspring

Locale: Ozarks

I think I'll stick with my store bought Merino Wool boxers.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Pedro will have to officially change his gearlist to reflect that he wears panties instead of underwear.

Hey Pedro, what brand or what type store did you find them? I see you are in Australia.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

I don't think the reluctance to wear women's underwear has anything to do with homophobia. Transvestitophobia, maybe.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

So when my daughter would wear my "boxers" would that be called "boxerfobia"?

When Patagonia first made a women's merino hoody I looked for one large enough and in a good color that might fit me. Never found one but think I would have worn it without thinking anything about it.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools