Topic

Terra Nova Laser Tent – Setup Directions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Terra Nova Laser Tent – Setup Directions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    James Loy
    BPL Member

@jimbluz

Locale: Pacific NW

I have a Laser and need tips on packing and erecting. The tent arrived from Terra Nova with no setup directions and with dialup internet, I cannot download the video on their website. TN advised me to start by staking the center of the front and rear floor, and then inserting the pole. Using this method, it always takes me 15 minutes to get the tent set up right. My Hilleberg Akto and other tents take me 5 minutes flat. Anyone have any tips on how to get this tent erected in an efficient manner? Any tips on packing this tent are also appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

James
    I have only set up the Laser once, inside the shop of the local importers. It had just arrived from custom , so we had not seen it in the flesh before. Of course we did not read the instructions and I cannot remember if there was an instruction sheet with it, but a two page version should be included.
    You definitely need to start by inserting the main pole, then you peg the ends of the inner down, then add the fly. I did not time our (two of us) effort, but it certainly was less than 10 min and we had very little space to set it up. However we did fiddle a bit afterwards to make it taut.
    Franco
    I found the instructions at the Terra Nova site, here
    http://www.terra-nova.co.uk/Downloads/Pitching_Instructions/TN1187_LaserCompetition_Laser.pdf
    after about 20 min , I realised that there was nothing on the first page, the pitching direction are on page 7

James Loy
    BPL Member

@jimbluz

Thanks for the comments, Franco. Compared to the Akto, I find the Laser to be much more cumbersome to erect and to pack. It does take a bit of adjusting to get a taut pitch. I agree with you about needing a 2-page instructions sheet. I like the ventilation of the Laser over the Akto but I am not sure the 3.5 oz weight savings is worth all the effort of setting the tent up compared to the ease of the Akto.

Derek Goffin

@derekoak

Locale: North of England

I dont think I have anything to add on pitching, it takes longer than our Nallo to pitch, but not 15minutes. The weight difference over our Nallo is worth it to me a lot of the time.
    On packing I now remove the end poles and I have discarded the bungees. This allows it to be rolled up smaller.

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

Perhaps you could read two posts on this blog:
    http://blogpackinglight.wordpress.com/category/tips-tricks/

(Laser Comp mods and One for Peewiglet). They guy has modified his Laser Comp here and there to get better pitching. I suppose these or at least some of them could be applied to the Laser too.

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

I have the smaller Laserlite, and it only takes a few minutes to set up. I always keep the inner and outer connected.
    If it's windy, i peg down the end into the wind. I insert the pole next. Pull out the other end and peg, and the tent should 'pop up'. Insert the small carbon poles, then go round adjusting everything till you get a nice taught pitch. :)

Peter Macfarlane

@ptc

Locale: The Scottish Highlands

Correct pitching is vital for stability and if you parctise a bit before you take it into the field it makes all the difference.
    There's a lot of folk modify their Lasers or the smaller derivatives, but if you pitch it right it's completely unnecessary.
    It's a remarkably stable design and relies on it's inherent flexibility to survive strong winds, extra guys and the like put strain on the tent where it wasn't designed to take it.

James Loy
    BPL Member

@jimbluz

Thanks for all the feedback. Tom, your links were especially helpful. Peter, believe me, I have practiced erecting the tent many times, but find it far more time consuming than the Hilleberg or Big Agnes tents. I do like the extra room in the tent, the use of more netting and the overall better ventilation than is found on my Akto.

Peter Macfarlane

@ptc

Locale: The Scottish Highlands

The tents I've been using most the last few months are a Lasercomp and a Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1. Two more different tents you couldn't get. The pitching style is very different and it took me a couple of goes at it to get the Seedhouse straight. I realised I'd finally got it dialled a couple of weeks ago when I pitched in the dark high on a mountainside.
    You're right about the Akto, Hilleberg could develop it, make it lighter and better ventilated, but they've left it untouched and it's become dated.

I've got a theory that tent pitching and use comes down to a personal affilation with the design rather than anything in the actual performance of the tent. That would explain all the pointless "my tent is better than your tent" arguments featuring prducts which are actually of equal merit.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> I've got a theory that tent pitching and use comes down to a personal affilation with the design

Maybe, maybe not.
    I can pitch my tunnel tents in the dark in a storm – and get the pitch good. But I think that is more a matter of the design itself.

Cheers

James Loy
    BPL Member

@jimbluz

Agree. It seems to me that Hilleberg tents, whether tunnel or dome have a very short learning curve whereas other mfgrs may use more than 2 designs. I had a problem with Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1 models that use the pole sleeves. It seemed the sleeves would tear away from the netting (best not to stake the floor first). I since had BA modify to eliminate the sleeves and sew clips so it erects like the SL2 and my old Mtn Hdwe Lt Wedge.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools