Topic

Backpacking Light DIAD Pad

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Backpacking Light DIAD Pad

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Bill B
    BPL Member

@bill123

I see that the material used for this pad is plastazote. How does it compare with the evazote material that Gossamer Gear uses?

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Plastizote is lighter, less durable and cheaper than evazote. Correct me if wrong.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Evazote and Plastazote are both made by the same manufacturer and are very similar. There are varying grades of each foam and it is the grade that determines the materials density. It is the foams density that determines its weight and R value. If you remember any geometry then you'll remember that d=m/v where d=density, m=mass and v=volume.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Sam

> If you remember any geometry then you'll remember that d=m*v where d=density, m=mass and v=volume.

Ah … D = M / V actually! Mass per unit volume.

Cheers

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Quantitatively speaking, based on specs published at BPL and GG plus measurements on a 1/4" GG Thinlight I have:

• DIAD's plastazote density is 0.012 ounces/cubic inch
    • DIAD's plastazote R-value per inch of thickness is 2.13
    • ThinLight's evazote density is 0.013 ounces/cubic inch
    • ThinLight's evazote R-value per inch of thickness is 3.6
    • a 1/4 inch Thinlight cut to DIAD's size would weigh 2.4-2.8oz vs DIAD's 1.7-1.9oz
    • The same ThinLight would provide .321-.375 R-value per ounce carried.
    • The DIAD would provide .210-.235 R-value per ounce carried.

Qualitatively speaking:

• I'm not expecting to sleep well all night on either pad. Not having a DIAD I am unable to compare them for comfort but I'd expect the ThinLight to be marginally better.
    • I've carried a 1/8" Thinlight for under legs in shoulder season and a handy sit/lie upon during breaks the last couple years. It's showing no sign of wear and I have not been careful with it.
    • But I haven't used the 1/4 inch ThinLight yet and don't own a DIAD.

Seems to me the biggest factor in choosing would be how cold I expect the ground to be when I use it (ignoring the fact that I don't know about durability differences)

Troy Meadows
    BPL Member

@lightworker

Locale: Sierra foothills

Just got back from a trip to Shinning Rock in wester Nc. Used the diad with a full sized 1|4 inch thinlight. I slept under a tarp with a BMW 60 quilt. I'm guessing the temp was in the high 40s to low 50s. I will say that I had the pads ontop of a nice patch of grass but all and all very comfy to sleep on. Also never felt cold from the ground.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools