Topic

My New Water Filter Design

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear My New Water Filter Design

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Seems too good to be true.
    You know what that makes me think…

Cheers

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

The Seychelle has been around for many years. I've used it — in conjunction with Micropur. The Seychelle has a 2-micron pore size, which is 10 times bigger than the pore size of a MSR filter — and also bigger than some bacteria. I would not use it alone.

Having said the above, the Seychelle was very effective in turning murky, chlorine-dioxide treated water into crystal clear, great tasting water. In terms of usage, I see it as comparable to the Frontier Pro — meaning great for pairing up with something else, but not good to use alone.

Bill B
    BPL Member

@bill123

"It removes up to 99.99% of contaminants and pollutants found in fresh water supplies including Giardia, Cryprosporidum, E-Coli Bacteria; Organics such as DDT, MTBE, Benzene, Chloroforms (THM'S); and In-Organics (Heavy metals) such as Arsenic, Lead, Mercury, Copper, and Chromium 6.", Ben.

Stupid question, what does it not remove?

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

Locale: Himalayas

Roger, you had to say that?

Just got a email from a shop that sells these. They dont fit on nalgene. :(

Other option is to buy nalgene Bike Bottle Replacement Cap, bota/aquamira replacement filter and combine it with cantene. Bota Outback/Aquamira bottle is basically a widemouth nalgene with bike cap isnt it?

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Bill,

Viruses

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

With a 2 micron pore size, it will probably let most bacteria through. You need 0.2 micron to stop most of them.

Me, I question whether 2 micron carbon would stop all E coli either. I note that they claim "It removes up to 99.99% of contaminants and pollutants " – which says precisely NOTHING. 'Up to' could mean 10%.

For the standard carbon filter they only claim 99.1% removal for E coli, which is less than the EPA requirement.

However, the 'Advanced filter contains EPA approved iodinated resin which is proven effective in the removal of bacteria and virus.' Yes, just the same as Coghlans Iodine Tablets. Reasonably effective, but so are the tablets. You will smell the iodine however.

They do state:
    'All Seychelle filters, from the smallest to the largest are extensively tested by only the highest quality, California state approved laboratories certified to test under the strictest EPA, ANSI & NSF standard methods and protocol. The gallon volume of filtration capacity is tested to NSF standards 42 and 53.'

However, these are lawyers' weasel words. Yes, the labs are qualified to test to EPA standards, but nowhere on the Seychelle web site do I see a single claim that the Seychelle filters actually pass EPA test requirements. I may be old, biased, cynical and mistrustful, but when a company goes to these lengths to mask the reality I am left believing the worst – that these filters do not meet EPA requirements. Buyer beware.

Cheers

Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools