Topic

Complex carb dense snacks

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Complex carb dense snacks

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

Locale: Himalayas

I am looking for ideas. So far I have come up with:

Pringles [potato]
    Roti/Tortillas [wheat]
    Muesli

I wont be carrying a stove.

I am trying to optimize food for weekend hikes by taking mostly complex carbs and using body fat as main source of energy by controlling my hiking pace.

Thanks for any help.

Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

Locale: Rocky Mountains

buy bulk maltodextrin, mix with water, drink

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

Halva
    Burfi
    Chocolate

:-)

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

Oatcakes and cheese.

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

I'm getting hungry! :o)

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

for backpacking you still need proteins in my opinion… too much carb can cause spikes and crashes in insulin levels and cause you to feel zapped… backpackers really need both for optimal nutrition. Also you run the risk of muscle depletion if the diet isn't quite right.

How about some of the no-cook salads? Lentil or other legume based salads, quinoa salad and such will give you that protein which your body needs. Of course you'd have to dry some foods or order dried from somewhere like Harmony House.

There are lots of things you can have in the backcountry without a stove and without stripping much needed protein from your diet.

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Nuts!

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

If you don't get enough oil/fat in your diet you can get constipated. Just a Tablespoon or so will help keep things regular ;-)

So in other words? Eat some nuts.

I like munching on dried fruit, instant hummus on tortillas, Pringles (yum!). I am also a huge fan of Baker Breakfast cookies as well – those puppies are tasty – with protein, carbs and fiber.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Huzefa,
    I'm thinking of things you should be able to find locally, since most of what we use here would be difficult to obtain. I'm thinking of laddoos, dhokla, bati(as in the dahl bati churma of Rajasthan and Gujarat), potatoes(perhaps sookhi aloo?), gajjar halwa, dahl mooth, dried mango, naan(maybe stuffed with cauliflower or potato?), barfi(as Roger suggested), cham cham, etc. Lots of carbs in all of these, plus some fat and protein as a bonus. You are fortunate to be in India when it comes to tasty carbs! No need to go the ascetic route.

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

>buy bulk maltodextrin, mix with water, drink
    I am reading up on meltodextrin. Looks good. But sourcing it locally will be quite a task.

>Halva
    Burfi
    Chocolate

yum!

Halva. Yes if your are refering to suji ka halwa (semolina pudding) and carrot halwa.

I have doubts that either burfi [condensed milk] or chocolate have complex carbs.

>Oatcakes and cheese.
    I will checkout oatcakes.
    I googled and so far I cant come up with anything which says cheese has complex carbs.

>for backpacking you still need proteins in my opinion…
    I will remember to take adequate protein.

>If you don't get enough oil/fat in your diet you can get constipated. Just a Tablespoon or so will help keep things regular ;-)

So in other words? Eat some nuts.

I will keep your advice in mind.

Those oatmeal cookies look good. I will see if they are available here.

Christopher Holden
    BPL Member

@back2basics

Locale: Southeast USA

">If you don't get enough oil/fat in your diet you can get constipated. Just a Tablespoon or so will help keep things regular ;-)
    So in other words? Eat some nuts. "

Seeds and berries work too. When has a bird ever left you a note apologizing for not being able to crap on your winshield?

mark henley

@flash582

Can you find brown rice syrup?

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

Hi Tom, all good suggestions.

Except I am not sure where chickpea flour stands.

http://www.carbs-information.com/carb-in-legumes/carbs-chick-peas.htm
    This page says that chickpea are low on the glycemic index.

http://www.carbs-information.com/baking/chickpea-flour.htm
    But this one says says that 'modern refined flour is high on the glycemic index.'

Can anyone explain why such a difference in glycemic index of chickpea and chickpea flour?

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

These articles have dependable information.

http://thru-hiker.com/articles/pack_light_eat_right.php

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

I asked my mom. She doesnt know what brown rice is, forget brown rice syrup.

I will still try.

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

John, thanks for the link.

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

Hi Huzefa.
    The reason i said oatcakes AND cheese, is simply that oatcakes can be a bit dry for eating on their own. A piece of moist cheese, or cheese spread, makes them easier to eat, and adds valuable fat. It's not a good idea to eat only carbs. Some people like fruit jam or jelly on oatcakes, which will increase the carb content further.
    Oatcakes can also be crumbled into soup or other liquid meals as a thickener.
    Oats have been shown to lower cholesterol levels. Maybe not a problem for you, but us Westerners need all the help we can get.:)

Derek Goffin

@derekoak

Locale: North of England

I was investigating maltodextrin. It is made from complex carbohydrates and still counts as a complex carbohydrate apparently, but I bet it is as simple a complex carbohydrate as they come. Food scientists are good at "refining" "purifying" for which read simplifying. I have a preference, with some evidence, for unadulterated food.

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

Roger,

there are many types of halwa like I mention in the earlier post: suji ka halwa (semolina pudding) and carrot halwa.

btw honey is just simple carbs.

Mike,

Thanks for the tip.

Derek,

Have you read this thread?
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/1272/index.html

Lot of discussion on maltodextrin. Of particular interest is "GU Energy Gel contains maltodextrin, the best complex carbohydrate for delivering energy to working muscles. GU also contains the optimal balance of carbohydrates for the body during exercise: 80% complex/20% simple. It is this balance of maltodextrin and fructose in GU that delivers a quick rise in blood sugar and maintains that glucose level for up to 45 minutes during exercise. "

Does that mean you take a packet of gel every 45 min.? Doesnt sound like sustained energy.

Derek Goffin

@derekoak

Locale: North of England

Have you read this thread?
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/1272/index.html

Lot of discussion on maltodextrin. Of particular interest is "GU Energy Gel contains maltodextrin, the best complex carbohydrate for delivering energy to working muscles. GU also contains the optimal balance of carbohydrates for the body during exercise: 80% complex/20% simple. It is this balance of maltodextrin and fructose in GU that delivers a quick rise in blood sugar and maintains that glucose level for up to 45 minutes during exercise. "

Does that mean you take a packet of gel every 45 min.? Doesnt sound like sustained energy.

Huzefa,
    No I hav'nt read that thread although I will. Your quote gives just the feel I got from what I did read. Maltodextrose may only be a bit better than a blast of simple sugar. Mind you nutrition is very complex, you can stretch out the supply of energy from a carb meal by for example, eating it with hard to digest fat or if the carb is not milled so fine. I expect Maltodextrin from different sources has different G.I. as well.

mark henley

@flash582

There timing is about right …. about 30 to 45 minutes is all the boost you get out of a Gu. Cliff shots have caffiene in them to compensate.

Myself …. I think a whole grain energy bar is a much better backup to the Gu … the Gu will get you up on your feet, the Whole grains will keep you up for a couple of hours.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Or you all could eat honey….just saying.

Jason Shaffer

@pa_jay

Locale: on the move....

I like this:
    http://www.ultralightbackpacker.com/moosegoo.html

Ultralight Joe’s Moose Goo:
    2 parts honey
    2 parts Bob’s Red Mill Corn Flour, or Masa Harina in Hispanic Foods Section. NOT corn meal! (sweet rice flour works too.)
    1 part peanut butter (preservative-laden)
    Mix thoroughly (will take some time).

Wrap in wax paper or package in Coghlan's squeeze tube (latter unsuitable in cold weather). Eat in gobs, spoon it out of baggies, or spread on tortilla. Adjust the above ratios to get the consistency you prefer.

If not using squeeze tubes, add nuts, grains, chocolate, dried cherries or other dried fruit.

Can also bake. See link for variations.

Per Coghlan’s sqeeze tube: 1320 calories, 172g carbs (70 simple, 102 complex), 24g protein, 38g fat

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Huzefa,
    I looked up the nutritional information for besan and it is as follows: 1 oz(28 grams) 108 calories; 1.9 grams of fat;
    16.4 grams of carbohydrate of which 3.1 are sugars and the rest complex carbs; fiber 3.1 grams; and protein 6.4 grams.
    All in all, lots of complex carbs I'd say, in a very complete nutritional package. Yesterday I forgot to mention rice. Very high in complex carbs and easy to find in India. So, how about plain boiled rice accompanied by a bit of mango or lime pickle? Or left over rice pullao?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools