Topic

Cozy Mug

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Cozy Mug

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Jason Griffin

@jgriffinrn

I want to make a mug that is used just for drinking. I'm figuring I'll make it out of the thinnest plastic bottle I can find. Wrap the plastic bottle in bubble wrap and then foil, basically making a all in one cozy mug. The lid would be just like a traditional cozy to go over the top. I have a few questions though; what glue should I use? and do they normally use regular aluminum foil to make cozies or should I use space blanket material? Thanks.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Reflectix insulates well. Foil/space blanket…..not very well.

mark henley

@flash582

A piece of a foil reflective windshield screen for your car works.

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

Mark,
    I use the foil/foam laminate windshield reflectors as well. They work OK.

The smallest Ziploc storage container (semi-rigid, with lid) holds 9 oz, and makes a fine cup. Addition of foil/foam improves its heat holding. And it cleans up better than a pop bottle. If you want a larger sized cup, look for bottles with flat bottoms and smooth sides so you can clean them easily.

Christopher Holden
    BPL Member

@back2basics

Locale: Southeast USA

I've been thinking about the same. I'm awaiting the arrival of a Trapper Mug and have thought about the Reflectix/tape combo or maybe making a "koozie" out of an old 3mm neoprene rock sock (diving boot). It's wearing thin in the toe, so its days are numbered. The ankle section is fine and that's the section I'd be looking to salvage. Bonus: I never considered recycling when I bought them back in the mid 90s. A knife, a needle and some thread and I can make a pair of them!
    Any thoughts?

Rod Lawlor
    BPL Member

@rod_lawlor

Locale: Australia

Jason,

Just check what the bottle's made of before you do too much work. PET or PETE will become VERY soft and unstable at 100C (Boiling water)

PE and PP should be fine (Their melt temp is around 160C)

The advantage of something like a Glad/ Ziploc container is you can punch a couple of holes in the lid and drikg through it, to prevent so much heat loss out the top of your mug.

Jason Griffin

@jgriffinrn

Changed gears. Thanks for the replies though. I got a trappers mug and the caldera system for it. I was gonna put the plastic mug inside the caldera caddy for the system I have for my titan kettle. I normally only use 1-1.5 cups of water for my cooking so I'll drop the kettle and go to the mug. I didn't realize reflectix was already a bubble wrap material I thought it was just a foil and I had to glue it to bubble wrap, that's why I asked about the other materials. I'll probably make a cozy for the mug.

Answer me this though, if I put a silicone lip protector on the mug; right at the rim and use this as a spacer to keep it that high above the caldera cone; could a small lid made of reflectix that came down over the sides of the mug a little bit be used without any issues? I don't think any flames would hit it but it would be exposed to a lot of steam and might touch the cone a little. Other than that it would be touching the silicone which wouldn't be an issue. Thanks.

twig .
    BPL Member

@bretthartwig

Locale: Australia

I imagine you may burn the reflectix lid as the occasional flame does shoot out the side when it is windy. As you mentioned the inner of the refectix is just like bubble wrap, so not too flame resistant. A foil lid works for boiling and will allow you to bend and store it inside the Caldera.The cozy would work well though, You could invert it and use it to hold your caldera setup together inside the trapper. AntiGravity Gear, who you can order the Caldera through can probably make you one up. I looked at customising one I had, but the result was pretty bulky, plus I don't have a need to keep my water hot for that long.
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=15535&skip_to_post=116518#116518

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Christopher,

Your idea will work perfectly for a koozie. Of course, no flames aloud! :)

A used, thin ccf pad can be cut, shaped, and glued into a good one, as well. So recycle and enjoy!!!

Todd

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools