Topic

Waterproof zips

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Waterproof zips

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Peter Atkinson
    BPL Member

@peterbob

Locale: Yorkshire, England

I'm interested to hear what experience people have with waterproof zips…

I have a very mixed experience of waterproof zips – i.e. they leak all the time at worst and at best are unreliable. So, for a waterproof jacket I find that the heavier alternative of a double storm flap is by far the best and most reliable option, especially for use in very wet conditions.

This really puts me off buying another waterproof zip, despite the weight advantages …. but I'm open to being wrong!

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Tend to agree with you. We found the open-ended ones very hard to get started too. I wouldn't buy them for my MYOG gear – double storm flaps are far more versatile.

Cheers

Peter Atkinson
    BPL Member

@peterbob

Locale: Yorkshire, England

Thanks Roger, I fear you have confirmed my own suspicions – maybe they are just for people who get out in drier climes.

Are there any more (waterproof zip) experiences out there -especially users during sustained periods of rainfall?

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

Hi Peter.
    I think it depends where the zip is, and the garment design. The weak spot is usually any flex points. I've had full length zips leak at the knees. Never anything drastic though. My Crux Flak Smock has never leaked, but that is a short zip backed by a storm flap. I've had some moisture in the pockets, but i'm not sure if i cause it by my wet hands.
    I use a Haglofs LIM Ultimate jacket in summer. That has a waterproof zip, backed by a storm flap, and i haven't had any problems with that either. It is close fitting so doesn't bulge anyplace, causing a flex point.
    A waterproof zip isn't a no-no for me in a jacket.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Peter

I think a waterproof zip with a storm flap in front of it might work reasonably well, but then you have to ask whether the waterproof zip is adding anything.

Where we had some trouble with it was in a snow storm trying to do the zip up while wearing mitts. It took the two of us to get the open-ended zip started, and the risk of damage is always there under those conditions.

Cheers

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

Both my rain jacket and rain pants have waterrepellent zips (waterproof zips don't exist) and I've never had a problem with it. Even in sustained rain. I'm just back from a trip in Switzerland and during our trip we had several days with wind driven rain. No problem at all. The zip is backed with a stormflap (so a flap behind the zip, not in front of it) so perhaps that helps. The zip does run a bit stiff but I've had no problems with that too.
    Perhaps the quality of the zips plays a role too. Apparantly there is a wide variety in waterrepellent zips and some work better than others. Newer types of aterrepellent zips like the YKK Uretek vislon models or the Riri Storm zip are supposed to be much better, are more durable and run much smoother.

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Locale: Colorado

Peter-
    In my experience, "waterproof" zips are a gimmick and never work. Plus, they're hard to zip. I much prefer the traditional zips with a storm flap.

David Ure

@familyguy

Nm

Peter Macfarlane

@ptc

Locale: The Scottish Highlands

It's not the zips, it's the stitching or the lamination holding it in. It's the cut of the pocket.
    These are what pull, stretch or stress waterproof zips and make them leak.
    Scotland is a great testing ground for waterproofs and the majority of my shells have uncovered waterproof zips and the only issue I've had in the last couple of years was with a prototype jacket with a dodgy chest pocket design which they changed.
    If you buy a well designed jacket, you'll be fine.

But, almost all waterproof pants with full length leg zips will leak at the knee.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools