Topic

4″x4″ blue shop towel squares???

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) 4″x4″ blue shop towel squares???

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Gordon Smith
    BPL Member

@swearingen

Locale: Portland, Oregon

Can anyone please tell me where a person can find these blue shop towels that Ryan Jordan and others have often cited as a preferred alternative to regular toilet paper? Are these the cotton rags often used in mechnics shops, print shops, etc, or some paper based product? I've seen many references here, especially in gear lists, but never any details, brand name, etc.
    Thanks for the help!
    Gordon,
    Portland, Oregon

Jason Griffin

@jgriffinrn

You can find them in any auto store (auto zone, advanced auto) or any large chain department store like walmart, target, meijer; in the auto department; sometimes in the paint dept. They are much more durable than regular paper towels; but if I was going to carry toilet paper for it's intended purpose I'm not sure I'd use these instead; they are a little stiff for that purpose.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Home Depot has white too. They do not come in 4 by 4 inch squares. They are larger sheets on a roll that people cut into smaller squares. I don't find them stiff at all. They don't fall apart when wet and can be used as reusable towels in addition to TP.

Adam Behr
    BPL Member

@justsomeguy

They're basically heavy duty paper towels, and they've worked well for me. I've never measured the squares, just cut each sheet roughly in half, and then in half again.

Here's a link. I wouldn't necessarily buy through this link as I'm sure you can find them locally with the above recommendations, but maybe the picture'll help.

Ryan Stoughton
    BPL Member

@txtengu

Locale: Seattle

I could be wrong, but I always thought the shop towels recommended for use were the one of the cotton variety and not the kind that come in a role. The ones in roll form are a bit stiff and are similar to thick paper towels, while the others are more..er.."absorbent" and definitely softer! You can find both types at an auto supply store, home depot, etc. The cotton ones usually come in red or blue and are often sold in packs of 4 or more.

Ryan

Adam Behr
    BPL Member

@justsomeguy

Interesting…

I suppose the ones I linked to above were just my interpretation of what I'd seen recommended.

They've worked well for me, but now I find myself curious as to how the ones you've described above would work.

Maybe someone closer to the original recommendation will chime in with some authoritative comments.

Thanks for posting Ryan.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Ryan is wrong. Adam shows the correct product on Amazon. Nobody uses cotton toilet paper than I am aware of.

Ryan Stoughton
    BPL Member

@txtengu

Locale: Seattle

Thanks John. I had always assumed they were the cotton ones, but it looks like I was wrong.

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

A couple of things to consider before running out to buy paper shop towels:
    They are much stronger than regular paper towels – sorta stiff and way too much thickness for the job. IOW, extra weight. Unless you plan to turn them over and use the other side.

They dernear never break down. I've tested them in biologically active soil and they lasted 9 months (and longer under less active conditions) – and they were still blue.

A much more comfortable, really soft, adequately thick but more degradable towel is VIVA by Kleenex, available in most grocery stores. Of course, you can achieve better personal hygiene with a little soap and water.

Michael Reagan

@michaelreagan

Locale: Southern California

I personally find this to be a good idea. I used to use a combination of regular TP followed by a "wet-wipe" type of pre-moistened towelette for post-potty hygiene. Now I simply use a lightly dampened shop towel square to accomplish the same thing with satisfactory results. Several reviewers here have mentioned that these towels are too rough, but when used just slightly damp they are perfect. A 4×4 square is even large enough to allow a damp side and a dry side for the one-two punch.

Naturally I pack out all toilet materials in a ziploc. One should never leave even a small amount of TP behind.

Michael

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Vick, I'll check out the Viva kleenex.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Michael:

Given how thin those towels are — and esp. when wetted — the "towel barrier" is almost purely psychological. Truth be told, the same is true for TP.

I highly recommend that you just wean yourself away from both towel and TP — and simply wash your bottom with hand and water! After that, sanitize your hands with a few drops of Purell. No mess and nothing to pack out.

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

Ben,
    I agree. The towels are for drying, not cleaning. About half the time, I just air dry.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

It's doubtful I will ever make it that degree of ultralight. Since my hiking buddies like to take pics of others in vulnerable situations, I don't need a pic of me aiming towards the prevailing winds.

TMI

Vick types,
    About half the time, I just air dry.

Monty Montana
    BPL Member

@tarasbulba

Locale: Rocky Mountains

There are different grades of blue paper shop towels. The mechanic's grade is thick, soft and supple. They're great for absorbing oil off one's hands and have a high tear strength. Cost is ~$3/roll. Then there's the Wal-Mart knock off that's blue, but the similarity ends there; they're thin, stiff and tear easily. Basically its the cheapest $.89/roll paper towel that they color blue and sell for $1.50. Either way you can still air dry if you want!

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

My local walmart has the same as Home Depot and they are not what you describe. Mine are NOT stiff, thin or easily tearable.

Harlan Bruce

@gbruce

Locale: DFW MetroPlex

I buy the cheap cotton shop towels at WalMart or the Depot. Cut them into sixths as needed. I use regular TP and pack it out. The shop towel section is used as a follow-up to keep things nice and clean. I moisten one piece after I use the current one so that I'm ready for the next interlude. The towels are light and sturdy and work great for me. And they weigh almost nothing. You don't need but just a few pieces. And the dyed cotton towels need to be washed in hot water with bleach ahead of time so that most of the dye is removed – no blue bottom for me – and so that I know that they are clean. Just wash the whole bundle at once. The ones that I don't cut up for trail use can always be used as – you guessed it – shop towels! This is much better than purchased pre-moistened wipes in sturdiness and weight and cost.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools