Topic

Beenie/Hat for the winter?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Beenie/Hat for the winter?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Well im in need of a hat for the winter. Im not looking for full face protection like a balaclava but a hat that will also protect my ears. It also needs to be semi-light.
    Thank you

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

mont bell makes some hats with ear extensions.
    https://www2.montbell.com/america/asp/products/Spg_itiran.asp?cat=2701
    but you could get a hat for really cheap at target or walmart. it dosent need to be special.

for ear warmers look at the designs on http://www.180s.com, I have never used thease but I have used their gloves. great prouducts

Bob Gabbart

@bobg

Chris WuWu

@sarcastic

The possumdown looks very nice, any other recommendations? If not, ill get the possumdown

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

dont forget to add a pair of gloves and sleeping socks

J R

@ravenul

Believe it or not, you can find some quite warm, quite cheap, and quite light, fleece beanies at walmart. check the hunting section.

Duncan Bell
    BPL Member

@t800

I have the PD Beanie and gloves through BPL. For the weight you can’t beat them. Though strangley my cats adore them more than I!? Something about the smell off the down makes them pick them up and carry them off to a secret place in the cellar – it’S like cat nip to them!

Richard Nelridge
    Spectator

@naturephoto1

Locale: Eastern Pennsylvania

The Outdoor Research WindPro Alpine Hat might also be something to consider. My medium weighs about 1.6 oz.

Rich

Eric Lavering

@lave

Locale: Western Montana

I wear an Everest Designs hat I picked up at a local sporting goods store. It’s made of a layer of thick wool with fleece lining around the ears. Supposedly, it’s hand knit in Nepal, so each one looks a little different, but all of the ones I saw looked like they were built pretty sturdy. I wrote down the actual weight somewhere, but lost it. I think I remember it being around 3oz. It’s a little heavier than most, but also quite a bit warmer than any non-polargaurd hat I’ve ever worn.

Just as a side note, I don’t wear the Everest Designs hat when active unless it’s really, really cold. It’s too thick for anything but a “hanging out in camp” hat. So if you’re looking for a hat to wear while on the move, it’s probably not for you.
    -Eric

Anonymous

Hijacking the thread. Could anyone recommend me a earband/headband? thanks

Alan Garber

@altadude

Try the Pearl Izumi headband….

Anonymous

Those Izumi Headbands look good, especially the ’06 Pearl Izumi Aeolus headband. Any other suggestions? Because the Izumi Aeolus caught my eye

Anonymous

Also, It needs to be warm

Joy Menze
    BPL Member

@catamountain

I like convertible headwear which is a simple tube of stretchy fabric. Depending on how the tube is folded, it can be a beanie, balaclava, neck warmer, or ear band.

Maxit Headgator is made from a thinner fabric with good stretch properties, mine weighs 2.03 oz and costs $15.99. It may be used alone or under another hat.

SAS Headover weighs 2.06 oz and made from thicker, expedition weight fabric, costing $8.99.

The links are to a catalog company called Brigade Quartermasters. They sell quality military/tactical gear.

I found a 1.3 oz version at Cheaper Than Dirt once. It doesn’t seem to be currently in stock. But it is a good place to shop at for some things, sometimes.

The thinner fabric ones don’t take up much space and are good to have just in case…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools