Topic

Akwatek Wicking shirt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Akwatek Wicking shirt

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Steve Young

@shakeylegs

Does anyone have experience with Akwatek wicking baselayer shirts?

Manufacturer claims its processed poly and nylon fabrics moderate body temp and persperation over a broader range of conditions than other fabrics.

Thanks for any feedback.
    Steve

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

Not the quarterback Steve Young, correct?

I have no experience with this shirt but you can get polyester, breathable, Drifit shirts at target for cheap

I dont know if this is what you are looking for but they wick away sweat and keep me dry in the summer.I have bought similar products at JC Pennys for more, but they are no better

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

Champion Sports C9 collection of shirts / boxer-briefs / tights (just don’t get ‘comfort’ it’s cotton) are great!

Also, Merona makes a nylon boxer brief (also available at target) that is hella comfortable.

Both brands are also way inexpensive.

Steve Young

@shakeylegs

Not the quarterback…I don’t share the hands, the wallet or the religion… But as I understand it I’m perhaps a distant relative via the blacksheep line of descent.

Here is the company line on akwatek as posted on fabriclink. Sounded interesting and from what I saw online, clothing from these materials are very reasonably priced.

The Best of Both Worlds
    Akwatek® polyester and Akwadyne® nylon, developed by Comfort Technologies, Inc., represent the newest generation of performance fabrics utilizing thermoregulatory action to give you the best of both worlds. Their unique properties give the wearer comfort and performance over a wide range of temperatures.

Permanently Modifies the Fiber
    Unlike fabrics that rely on capillary action, Akwatek and Akwadyne do not need to be worn close to the skin to work. Akwatek and Akwadyne transport moisture and thermoregulate by a chemical principle known as electrochemical transport. The process involves chemically modifying the fibers resulting in a permanent treatment which cannot be removed by laundering. The process can modify staple fiber, yarn, or fabric and can be applied to spun and filament yarns to produce both knits and wovens.

Hot weather chartspacerHot Weather
    In warm temperatures the fabric responds electrostatically, moving moisture and excess heat from the body to the surface of the fabric for release. The fabric adjusts its properties in hot weather to help keep the wearer cooler and drier. The more a wearer perspires, the more the fabric electrostatically moves moisture from the body. As activity decreases the fabric will reduce the evaporative process, leaving a constant water barrier between the wearer and the fabric.

cold weather chartCold Weather
    In cooler weather Akwatek and Akwadyne performance fabrics help the wearer retain heat by creating a layer of warm air between the skin and the fabric. A 100% relative humidity layer of moist air is created between the skin and the fabric that holds more heat during cooler temperatures. The fabric adjusts to trap heat while releasing moisture, always helping to keep the wearer warm, dry and comfortable. Because Akwatek and Akwadyne electrostatically pulls moisture, it increases the heat capacity of trapped air next to the skin.

Performance Proven in Tests
    Dr. Laurence P. Mayer, a Thermoregulatory Physiologist at Columbia State College, has tested Akwatek and Akwadyne for durability, allergic reactions and their evaporation ability. Dr. Mayer’s tests show:

* Akwatek and Akwadyne have 3 times the evaporation ability over capillary or acid coated fabrics when initial contact is made with water.
    * Even with over 125 washings, results show no decrease in product performance.
    * Tests prove that after machine spinning cycle 250% less water remained in the Akwatek and Akwadyne garments than in other garments using outdated technology.

Steve

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools