Topic

Camera options for my needs

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography Camera options for my needs

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

Hi all, my first post in the photography section. I'm hoping to get some recommendations. My Canon S2IS has developed a fault (the sd card holder has stopped locking the card in) and I'm wondering what the lighter weight options are.

My 'must haves'
    AA batteries
    Lots of optical zoom
    Viewfinder
    Image stabilisation
    Manual flash choice. Cameras which automatically use flash which I then have to disable after missing my shot annoy me.

That's it. Not too fussy about manual controls, as long as the camera does a decent job on auto. I can live with less than perfect images and a poor flash. My emphasis is on ease of use, not megapixels. 5MP is plenty.

I have a feeling that the answer will be to get another Canon S2IS, but it's a bit weighty. – Any ideas?

Jan Stiff

@jsstiffmchsi-com

I am not sure about the weight, but I used to carry a Canon S70. It produced excellent results for a point and shoot and had just about every feature you could want. You might check it out (or whatever the current version is) to see if it is close to what you are looking for.

ian wright

@ianwright

Locale: Photo - Mt Everest - 1980

I used to be wanting a camera that uses AA batteries but found they did not last long and the cost of replacing them really added up. And how many spares do you need to carry (this is determined by working out how quick the camera sucks the life out of them).
    I now take a second battery if needed, cheaper in the long run and very light compared to X-amount of AA batteries.

Just an option.

Dan Healy

@electricpanda

Locale: Queensland

When I was a pro photographer I thought nothing of 2 SLR bodies, lens, and tripod for a quick jaunt…

These days I use a Canon S5IS… nice… I use rechargeable AA's, and take spare SD cards… Personally I wouldn't take anything less as for me the quality is important…

My partner recently bought a Canon A70… much lighter, smaller and not bad phots, AA, IS, some telephoto… but I would like better!

and right there you have the compromise!! At the end of the day it is up to you to choose what quality you want!

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Jan: The S70 is definitely a bit under spec lens wise and movie mode is a bit limited.

Ian: I recharge batteries as I go using solar and some peltiers over a wood fire. I'm also developing a gravity winder.

I used to have an IXUS II with a spare battery which was ok for several hundred shots, and I'm looking at a powershot SD 700 as a possibility, not bad specs, but I still want more zoom!

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Dan:
    S5IS, hmmmm, nice. A S3IS has enough resolution for my purposes, I don't print, and the secondhand prices are reasonable. The Panasonic Lumix models look quite good, but no viewfinder… decisions decisions.

ian wright

@ianwright

Locale: Photo - Mt Everest - 1980

I have a Panasonic TZ2 which I like a lot and suits my needs. Compact, pocket size, 10x optical zoom, = to 28mm wide angle, 5mp. But no viewfinder !! Everyone wants viewfinders but they won't give us one !
    I don't print either.
    I don't think there are any or very few choices of a compact camera with 10x zoom and 'true' wide angle.

Will the dream camera always be a dream ?

Christopher Holden
    BPL Member

@back2basics

Locale: Southeast USA

Ian,
    Agreed. I want to see a digital camera with an optical viewfinder and no, or at least a minimally sized, LCD (to extend battery life). Keep dreaming.

Dan Healy

@electricpanda

Locale: Queensland

Yes, viewfinder is crucial to quick, stable shooting IMHO… not only is using a viewfinder much quicker to frame the shot… by pressing the viewfinder hood against your eyesocket and holding the camera in 2 hands and supporting the elbows on your body, then brace the body you get a far more stable shooting platform.

True wide angle – 24mm or less – is unlikely to come to cameras with small CCD'd/CMOS sensors as the rear element has to come so close to them. The new generation of full size 35mm sensors should spawn bigger sensors for the mini-brick brigade – hope so anyway!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools