Topic

Welding?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Welding?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

One of my planning-stage projects is a UL tripod for a SLR w/300mm lens. In designing the head, I'm wondering what I'd have to do to put the leg supports on. I might be able to have a block milled by a machinist, but it seems like a heckuva lot of waste. Thoughts?

Mike Hinsley

@archnemesis

Locale: England, UK

Technoweld will braze aluminum but it's gonna take real skill to use it well.

Frankly I'd plan to use simple rivets and/or adhesive – it's cheap, light and easy to do.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

Make the head out off wood and use threaded T-nuts into the wood to receive threaded legs.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> I might be able to have a block milled by a machinist, but it seems like a heckuva lot of waste.
    For a one-off? Hardly: it's a very small block of Al to start with.
    Let us know how this goes – I have often speculated about it myself.

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

Ahhh- I forgot the vital "ingredient" and question under the question. I was going to make it out of titanium. But for something like this (0.25" thick, 2.25" diameter, plus leg supports) how much weight savings would I find between Ti and Al? Would it be an ounce or less? Thanks!

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

The density of Ti is 4.5 g/cc. Al is 2.7 g/cc

So….Ti is 1.666 denser/heavier than Al.

An Ti isn't particularly easy to machine.

Save weight and $$ with Al.

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

Have you considered wood? If that seems impractical, aluminum is easy to work with home shop hand tools.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools