Topic

Seam Sealing

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Seam Sealing

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Christopher Williams

@clwilla

Locale: The Bluegrass

After having read the MYOG article on seam sealing (the one in which it describes thinning the silicone with mineral spirits before application), I still have one simple question.

Does one need to seal both sides of the seam (I'm talking about the ridgeline of a 11×10 silnylon cat tarp), or will the top seam be sufficient?

Many thanks.

Christopher Holden
    BPL Member

@back2basics

Locale: Southeast USA

The top should be sufficient. Make sure to setup your tarp before sealing. Silnylon should be taut when you seal it. Otherwise the silicone layer could tear when setting it up if it was not evenly applied. It isn't a big deal. A dab of Silnet will patch it… if you catch it before it rains!

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

It wouldn't hurt to do both sides. A gram of prevention is worth a litre of water. Something like that :)

Christopher Williams

@clwilla

Locale: The Bluegrass

I may seal the underside at a later date for extra measure, but tomorrow is a crunch day. I'm going out on a short hike to test all my new UL gear, and sealing/drying both sides is likely 1 task too many for tomorrow.

Thanks for the replies

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools