Topic

Need September Presidential Traverse Clothing List

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Need September Presidential Traverse Clothing List

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    frank trotta

@budomove

Locale: queens, ny

Hey Everyone, I am doing the Presidential Traverse of the White Mtns with two friends on sept 13-14, and we are staying in the Lake of the Clouds Hut. We are not using any shelter since we are staying in the hut, so I just need to know what clothing I should bring. Items I already have:

Smartwool Microweight Zip T
    REI John Muir 200wt fleece vest
    Marmot Ion Windshirt
    Golite Virga Jacket
    patagonia running shorts
    montrail hardrock

Should I buy new shoes? Ilove the montrail hardrock, and used them for Devils Path, but for inclement weather do I need more? I was thinking maybe I needed some sort of lightweight goretex synthetic shoe?

Frank

frank trotta

@budomove

Locale: queens, ny

can i use my montrail hardrocks, or should i get some goretex for potentially cold weather. Trying to limit spending, but do not want to be ill prepared.

Scott S

@sschloss1

Locale: New England

I would definitely bring some type of insulating layer. I went over Washington on the AT right around the same dates last year, and it was 35 degrees with 60 mph winds on that day (also 130 miles of visibility–all the way to the ocean!).

Even if you stay at the hut, you could get caught out in a storm and have to hunker down somewhere for a few hours. You may not use it, but you should have something warm to wear.

Joe Westing

@pedro87

I think that you definitely could wear your Hardrocks, especially if you will be sleeping in a hut. Just bring some extra socks. On an overnight I took on AT through NJ last December, I wore my Hardrocks w/ a liner and 2 thicker pairs of Smartwool socks. The high for the day was about 30-degrees and the average temp was in the mid 20s. Even after soaking my feet while crossing a small creek (upper Dunfield Creek for those familiar w/ the Delaware Water Gap area) I was still fairly warm and comfortable. The only time I was very cold and uncomfortable was in camp when temps went below 15-degrees and my shoes/socks still had not dried. If I had brought my insulated booties I would have been fine. The next morning I woke up to 4 inches of snow on the ground, and even then the Hardrocks were fine for the 2-hour walk back to the car. The most important thing if you bring the Hardrocks is to be sure to bring plenty of socks.

jim bailey
    BPL Member

@florigen

Locale: South East

Might want to consider a shell layer or leggings, windchill on Washington is in the 20's today. Has been cooling down in the Whites pretty quickly over the past week.

Have a great trip!
    Jim

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools