Topic

2 OZ FOLDING WOOD STOVE

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear 2 OZ FOLDING WOOD STOVE

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

Stainless steel was used for the pot support.
    4 inch wide fiberglass cloth was used for the outer shell. Cloth is pourous. At one point in the video you can see gasses ignite as they pass through the outside of the fiberglass.

This is my first test firing. It boiled 3 cups of water(not timed) I kept the stove burning hot for 45 min. There were no initial signs of the cloth becoming brittle or hard. More test need to be made to determin durability of the cloth. Cloth was purchased on ebay in 4 inch wide rolls. No description was attached to the rolls. I came across the material while cleaning out my garage, just in time as the recent talk of collapsable hobo stove came up.

The pot support legs were a little bit on the wobbly side, needs improvement there. Need something to keep the fabric from going all the way down. 1/2 inch from the bottom would be ok to allow air circulation.

<center>

</center>

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Zelph, I certainly appreciate this design for its innovation but I question the usefulness of it over just using a small ground fire. I presume there is no fiberglass base to the stove to avoid a ground scar – one of the reasons I use a wood stove as opposed to simply using a fire. Thoughts?

Nia Schmald
    BPL Member

@nschmald

It seems like it would be fairly straight forward to use a fiberglass or steel mesh bottom and suspend the sack from the stand. So the advantages over an open fire would be no ground scar and a small chimney to direct heat at the pot. All though given the flames coming through the fabric the chimney effect might be negligible.

Zelph, I'm a little surprised how heavy it is. I was hoping for 1 oz. What's the breakdown between stand and fabric?

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Sam, I agree that we should leave no ground scars. I have 2 sheets of very light weight and flexable mica sheets that are about .010 of an inch thick, that will be used to protect the ground. I currently use them with my stainless steel "Globe Stove"

Another point Sam, the usfulness of it just using a small ground fire is the mesh acts as a wind screen and containment for red hot embers that might want to take flight in a brisk breeze. Also as Nia pointed out, it acts as a chimnney to direct flames to the bottom of the pot.

Nia Schmald, the ss pot support weighs 18 grams and the fiberglass mesh weighs 46 grams.

It took me no more than an hour to assemble this one while cleaning out my garage.

<center>
    Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

</center>

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

It is a unique contraption worthy for addition to a long distance SUL kit that includes a stove.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Hi Sam,

It was this info from Colin Krusor that got me interested in how the fiberglass I have been using would perform :
    ***The fabric is actually not fiberglass. I tried the two major varieties of fiberglass (E glass and S glass) in earlier designs, but the E glass melted and the S glass became brittle and disintegrated after several trials.***

*I had the materials handy and so I put them together quickly to test the fabric. I'm pleased to see how the introduction of fiberglass use has inspired the DIY stove making community. My first use of fiberglass of this type came over 2 years ago.

I have to put this material through several trials as did Colin Crusor.

Nia Schmald
    BPL Member

@nschmald

Thanks for the info Zelph. I couldn't figure out how to cover the seam. I'm new to this sewing thing. Thanks to your last photo I sew how you stitched across multiple times since you couldn't sew down the length of the tube.

A local shop carries 1/16" ceramic fiber paper which I'm interested to try but they're out of stock at the moment.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Nia, I used a stapler not a sewing machine. If modern doctors can use staples so can I. : )

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools