Topic

Absinthe on the trail?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Absinthe on the trail?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Brian UL

@maynard76

Locale: New England

This is my new favorite drink.
    I am just getting into it and I cant believe its not wildly popular in the US yet.
    If you didnt know Absinthe has been legal in the US since May 2007. There has also been a few distilleries in Europe rediscovering the art in the last 10 years or so.
    It seems to me that it would make a really great drink for the trail seeing as its very strong and only requires that you find some nice cold stream for la louche!

victoria maki
    BPL Member

@clt1953

Locale: northern minnesota

so brian. i've heard of it, but what does it taste like?

Nia Schmald
    BPL Member

@nschmald

Cool, I hadn't heard that this is legal again. I had a roommate in college who made some. This was many years ago of course.

I recall it tasting something like sweet dirt. I would assume the commercial distillery product tastes nothing like what I had.

I've been carrying bacardi 151 as my light weight alcoholic beverage/backup fuel. This could be a nice change.

Do you have a recommended distillery?

Eric Fitz

@pounce

Don't see this as anything different that any other alcohol. It is widely accepted that there is nothing else to the Absinthe "effect" other than alcohol. There is not enough thujone (or anything else) in distilled Absinthe to have any effect whatsoever.

Now, that being said taking grain alcohol is going to have a better effect to weight ratio than say a can of Coors from a 3.2 state ;) 80% ethanol at altitude would give you a kick.

Brian UL

@maynard76

Victoria, It tastes like a slightly minty licorice like drink.
    That would be because of the the anise and other herbs in it.
    Different brands will taste slightly different of coarse, some are more bitter and less licorice like.

Dont pay any attention to claims and rumors of psychoactive affects especially any claims that thujone will get you high.
    Its a myth perpetuated by ignorant kids.
    Absinthe is just wormwood liquor with herbs. It tastes good and is refreshing. It does have slightly different effects than normal alcohol but its basically the same. The thing that is appealing for backpacking is that it is strong so you only need 2-3 glasses meaning 2-3 shots. remember not to drink it straight!

Please check out this site for brands and everything else you need to know:
    http://www.wormwoodsociety.org

Kubler is the most common brand to be found on US shelves. It has a strong anise flavor and thats why I like it.

victoria maki
    BPL Member

@clt1953

Locale: northern minnesota

ok brian, so you said not to drink it straight. what would you recomend it be mixed with?

Brian UL

@maynard76

"what would you recommend it be mixed with?"

Its not like whiskey it isnt meant to be sipped straight. It is meant to be mixed with ice cold water, and when I say mixed I mean the water must be poured on to cause it to "louche" or get cloudy. This is releasing the oils of the various herbs. Every absinthe has an optimal proportion of water to absinthe like 1 shot to 3-5 shots water.
    Some People also add sugar with an absinthe sugar spoon that lets you pour the water over the sugar.
    You see there is a bit of ritual involved and thats why its best at home but I figured if you took some on the trail and found a nice cold stream you could make a glass or ti-mug of it.
    Im a beer man and I dont really like the hard stuff much, Ill be happy to have some but I would rather have a beer.
    But I have found that I really like absinthe so I figured it would be a great alternative for me. I find it really refreshing on a hot day.
    Go to the link I provided above and it will answer all your questions.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

try the brand Lucid. That is the closest that you will come to a true absinthe. Sugar is preferrable, but I am sure if you mixed it with some cold stream water it might taste okish. Straight is ok too. And yes it does taste a little like licource. I know cuz I sell the stuff.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools