Topic

Foot Care Supplies for Sandal-packing

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Foot Care Supplies for Sandal-packing

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Addie Bedford
    BPL Member

@addiebedford

Locale: Montana

Companion forum thread to:

Foot Care Supplies for Sandal-packing

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

One thing I've always found works much better than duct tape for taping up feet is sports tape, the white stuff. It grips like crazy, doesn't peel away, and can be used in lieu of duct tape for other repair work. It, of course, is designed for sticking to the skin and can be used for first aid purposes, too.

Tony Burnett
    Spectator

@tlbj6142

Locale: OH--IO

When I hike in my Chacos, I always wear thin (think liner thin) socks. Helps keep my feet from sticking to the footbed, makes them feel cooler ('cause they aren't sticking) and provides some sun protection.

Also, for Chaco users, prior to your trip make sure you can easily move your straps around. I find that often I need to adjust the straps from their "city" settings while I'm in the backcountry.

Chris Jackson

@chris_jackson

An effective treatment for dry and cracked feet, particularly deep heel cracks, is a 25 percent solution of urea. It softens the cracked skin, accelerates the healing process, and does not sting at all. It is available over the counter at the pharmacy as "heel balm". One brand is Flexitol.

Joe Kuster
    BPL Member

@slacklinejoe

Locale: Flatirons

A significantly different approach to sandal comfort is instead of patching the skin is to patch the sandal itself.

I use Engo anti-blister sticker things over problem areas on the sandal itself and it has completely eliminated problem areas on my tevas. I'm sure duct tape would work in some situations as well. Previously the places where it had stitching on the back of the heel strap would wear my skin raw, now it's just nice a slick.

Unfortunately the Engo strips (which are mentioned in the Fixing your Feet book available here at BPL) are very hard to track down. In the entire state of Colorado we only have one store listed as a retailer for them so I end up buying them online (at zombierunner.com). This is something BPL should definately consider stocking as they work hands down for problematic spots in footware and they actually last decently long times in most cases.

Charles Ruefenacht
    Spectator

@cwruefenacht

I just completed my first 15 miler w/ sandals. It worked quite well. Glad to see others are doing it and that it's a viable option. Duct tape worked pretty well. Outbound leg w/ socks, return without. I'm not sure about cross country use but will try it.

Kristine Nichols
    BPL Member

@krisjnic

Locale: Kettle Moraine State Forest

I have always wished to wear sandals in warmer, nonbuggy climates, but anytime I'm off pavement I always get annoyed with all the gravel and little rocks that get between my feet and the sandals. Don't you all have that problem?

Chris Townsend
    BPL Member

@christownsend

Locale: Cairngorms National Park

I find just kicking grit and dirt out at the toe works fine (a main reason why I prefer open-toed sandals). I get almost as much stuff in trail shoes, which is more irritating as I have to take them off to get rid of it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools