Topic

Platy pillow

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Multiple Use Gear Platy pillow

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Paul Tree

@paul_tree

Locale: Wowwww

I put a clean sock or a sweater arm over it. Only problem is if you drink it, you sink it unless you blow in some air. If on snow, it can chill your head, but you can use some or all air to help reduce that. Keeps it from freezing at least.

Michael Mangold

@mkmangold

Nice. I think the key here is to have SOME air in the platy at all times to act as insulation. If you can drink-then-blow, problem solved. But a man of my age cannot afford to drink fluid past 10 at night…

Jim MacDiarmid
    BPL Member

@jrmacd

I love this idea. I tried it at home with my camelbak, and I think it'll work great. I *need* a pillow, and balled up clothes always end up having a hard spot that hurt my temples. (Side sleeper here.) Thanks.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

I *need* a pillow, and balled up clothes always end up having a hard spot that hurt my temples. (Side sleeper here.) Thanks.

My favorite piece of luxury is a 4inch by 4inch piece of 1 inch thick open cell foam that sleeps between the side of my head and whatever platform I use instead of a pillow. It only needs to be large enough to pad my temple, ear and cheekbone.

tommy d

@vinovampire

I was just searching over the weekend for light-weight pillow options. I'm at the point where I've refined my gear to my needs, but I'm still missing a nice, light pillow. I really like the CamelBak as a pillow idea!

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

I bought one at Wallyworld for $5, and replaced the bladder with a Flexair pillow. I guess I should weigh it, and see if it meets the club specs. Feels pretty light, and has a layer of memory foam.

Natasha S

@phdhiker

Both my BF and I have that same $5 Wallyworld pillow. We have been pretty impressed by it. Took a little getting use to how much air to blow into it for comfort. Beats the fluff pillow I had before.

Mark Edgren

@mackgren

Do either of you have any pics of the WallyWorld $5 special? I would like to see what i'm looking for. Any idea how much it weighs?

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

No pics here. It looks like a 12×16 pillow with a flannel cover, and it's usually by the sleeping bags in Sporting Goods. Haven't weighed mine.

Mark Edgren

@mackgren

Thanks for the quick response and description. I'll make sure I check it out on my next trip there. Cheers!

Nate Meinzer

@rezniem

Locale: San Francisco

Joe,

Is this the pillow you're talking about?

http://www.safetycentral.com/stpocapi.html

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Nope. The one at Wallyworld has an air bladder in it.

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

Joe,
    I saw your post and bought one at WM (not WM) yesterday. It weighs 4.4 ounces. I'm going to stuff mine with my LuxuryLite cylinders.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Great deal for the money

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools