Topic

Central Cali PCT

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Central Cali PCT

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Christopher Williams

@clwilla

Locale: The Bluegrass

Hey all,

A friend and I are looking to do about 100 miles or so along the PCT (or general vicinity) in the Central California section in the Sierras sometime next July.

Neither of us are experienced on the West Coast (I.e., dealing with West Coast altitudes).

One of my requirements is that I have the ability to sleep below the tree line because I am a hammock camper. We'd also like to avoid stupidly arduous ascents and/or descents if we can.

We are very flexible at this point, as neither of us know much about the area. We're up for just about any kind of hike be it a long loop, out and back, straight through . . .

We're also up for just about anything in the area, and it need not be the PCT (I.e., various connecting trails in Yosemite would be cool). We'd like some solitude (which may rule out portions of Yosemite) and have to deal with others as seldom as possible, yet we would also like he comfort of traveling established and well marked trails. Perhaps this isn't possible, but I imagine that it is considering there is well over 400 miles of trail along the PCT in the Central Cali section.

There is also a slight possibility for some backcountry fishing as well.

Any ideas so that we might narrow it down a bit? Anything ultra-cool that we shouldn't miss?

If you guys need any more info, please let me know so that I can fill in the blanks.

Colleen Clemens

@tarbubble

Locale: dirtville, CA

oh, to be a Sierra virgin again.

you can't go wrong with most of the PCT through the Sierra. I'd suggest you start by examining the JMT section and then following anything else that gets you curious. If you want physical maps to work from, I like the Tom Harrison maps. They are available for most areas of the Sierra.

solitude along the well-established trails is possible. you will typically pass by a few people in a day, but if you want to keep to yourself it isn't hard to do. you can combine well-used trails with less popular side trips and get a mix. really, the Sierra is just so doggone big that it's easy to stick to yourself.

lots of fishing opportunities, for fly or angling.

there are a few things i think are ultra cool – Kern Hot Springs, the hut at Muir Pass, Precipice Lake. anybody else?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools