Topic

JMT Thru-hike kicks

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

Locale: White Mtns

Hey Guys and Gals,
    Next year I have scheduled a 10-12 day JMT thru with my wife. Considering we are from the muddy, rainy, root and rock infested NorthEast we have been doing a lot of reading as to what kind of terrain we can expect. From the sounds of it the terrain itself while having much bigger ups and downs than what we have out here will be a pleasant walk in comparison to the terrain in the NE. So I would like some advice/opinions on footwear. In the past I have used Montrail Vitesse and was a big fan. I have now joined the Inov8 bus with a pair of Roclite 295’s which are by and far the most comfortable trail shoes I have ever used. Looking more into the Inov8 line it seems that the Roclite 315’s may be a good choice for a trip like this as they feature the Inov8 Endurance rubber sole rather than the Sticky variety. While I do like lighter shoes, for a 220+ mile walk I am thinking some cushion will be welcome so anything from the Inov8 line less than 3 arrow prob will not do the trick. Any thoughts or other suggestions?

Charles Grier
    BPL Member

@rincon

Locale: Desert Southwest

I use Montrail Hardrocks on trails in the Sierra. The trails, especially the JMT, are generally not muddy or rooty but can be rocky, dusty and horse poopy. My feet get a layer of fine dirt on them that works through the mesh but other than that, the shoes work just fine. I use a pair of Dirty Girl gaiters to keep the small rocks out and they work great. I'm leaving for a JMT through-hike in two days and am taking my Hardrocks again.

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

Thanks Charles, the Hardrocks are a nice shoe. Used a pair a few years back and their durability was pretty awesome. They tend to have more cushion and pronation control for my normal hiking purposes, but I will def put them on my list.

FYI, I am posting this question close to a year in advance so I can get several pairs to train in to make sure I am choosing the right model.

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

I will secound the Montrail Hardrocks. I bought multiple pairs of the closeout 07 model but I'm likely one of just a few who actually like the new 08 Hardrocks as much if not more. There are lighter options in trail runners but these are well cushioned, stable and reasonably durable (size up at least 1/2 size for hiking). One can still find the 07 model at closeout prices but in very limited sizes and color options but do not shy away from the 08's, these shoes will do the job.

Nia Schmald
    BPL Member

@nschmald

I hiked the JMT last year in new balance 907 runners and the cushioning is fine. Others wore everything from heavy boots to keen sandals and all seemed happy with there choice.

I had some soreness in my knees and plantar fascia when I was done. I tried the hardrocks and while a think the are good if a little bit stiff, what really helped me recover while still being active is using trekking poles.

So I'd say go with what is most comfortable. If you like the roclites they should be fine. I think they have noticeably more cushion than the NB 907s. Too bad they don't come in widths so I could use them. But I would strongly recommend poles if you don't already use them.

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

Thanks Nia, def always use poles. Been using BMW Stix as of late but I will have to switch back to the Life Link Guide Ultralights to make the flight easier.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

Do either the hardrocks or the Inov8 line of shoes suit wide feet??

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

The older 2007 and the new 2008 Hardrocks are available in wide sizing 2E.

Nia Schmald
    BPL Member

@nschmald

I have a 2E foot in most shoes. The hardrocks 2Es fit nicely. The inov8 295 were just slightly too tight, but not workable. So if you can fit wider but still marked standard width shoes the 295s might fit.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools