Topic

Signal Mirror

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Multiple Use Gear Signal Mirror

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Linsey Budden

@lollygag

Locale: pugetropolis

Emergency Signal
    For Grooming Purposes
    Intimate Tick Checks
    Aid Removal of Stubborn Debris From Eye

What else am I forgetting (besides the morbid Check for Breath)?

PS. Author Cody Lundin ("98.6 Degrees: The Art of Keeping Your Ass Alive!") advises to practice using emergency equipment like this before you need to under duress.

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

Sharpen one edge to use as a knife?

Jeremy Greene
    Spectator

@tippymcstagger

Locale: North Texas

If your mirror is actually glass this might work.

Michael Wands

@walksoftly

Locale: Piney Woods

Just a few more uses:

Check a sore or broken tooth.

Place behind a lantern or other light source and it will intensify the light.

Linsey Budden

@lollygag

Locale: pugetropolis

Awesome ideas! Really I should have thought of "check a…broken tooth" as I've checked (and applied wax to) a tooth that broke in the middle of a week out.

My signal mirror is actually glass, one of the many reasons I'd never make SUL weight although the new Starflash Ultra looks way better than the typical plastic mirror.

Michael Mangold

@mkmangold

I use mine and the pliers from a multi-tool to flip food while cooking. Makes a great pancake turner.

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

>If your mirror is actually glass this might work.

Or stainless steel. Do plastic mirrors really work? What about cd's?

Peter Macfarlane

@ptc

Locale: The Scottish Highlands

A signal mirror is a genius bit of kit for all the reasons given above, especially for the grit in the eye (my most common use). But hardly anyone in the UK carries one. None of the usual medical/emergency kits have one. Only AMK, and they're not widely distributed.
    Stupid.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

If you have one of these from the BPL store or elsewhere –

From the manufacturer

"StarFlash Ultra Water Immersion Notice 10.27.08

UST has observed a decrease in mirror performance in the rare situation where the StarFlash® Ultra™ mirror is immersed in water for extended periods of time. After our testing is complete, letters will be sent to Ultra™ customers regarding the water immersion findings. Production on the Ultra™ mirror has been halted while engineered solutions are quantified and verified. Our former long-standing StarFlash® signal mirrors will be offered in the interim."

Doug Ritter and Company discovered this, and in some cases the effectiveness of the mirror fell off dramatically. Not all mirrors say Ultra, but the frameless style is definitive. Details are found HERE.

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

My Silva Ranger 15CL compass has a mirror that may be used for all of the above, plus taking accurate bearings.

Scott S

@sschloss1

Locale: New England

Yeah, I'll second the compass/mirror recommendation. I have a much-abused Silva Guide that weighs 1.2 oz and does everything a standalone mirror could do.

Matthew Roberts

@matthewjamesroberts

Locale: San Fernando Valley

I recently received the Starflash mirror in their Aqua survival kit. Very disappointed. It almost looks like a thin layer of cheap foil inside of a plastic case. When you look at the mirror from an angle, you can see miniature crinkles in the reflective surface.
    My StarFlash doesn't even work well as a normal grooming mirror. The reflective image is fuzzy and distorted.

They must have improved this in the Ultra addition; however they've recalled it and I can't get my hands on one to review it.

I've been considering cutting a piece of reflective mirror off of the solar-tubes homeowners use to pipe light in from their roof to a dark corner in an interior room.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I third the compass idea.
    If think you you need a mirror, why not simplify your kit and carry a compass with one?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools