Topic

Lightweight Rainwear 2008: Current Favorites, New Introductions, and New Technologies (Outdoor Retailer Summer Market 2008)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Lightweight Rainwear 2008: Current Favorites, New Introductions, and New Technologies (Outdoor Retailer Summer Market 2008)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

I just came across this study:

…..Two commercially available membranes are considered in this thesis: a spunbonded polyolefin manufactured by DuPontâ„¢ with the trade name Tyvek®, and a two layer polypropylene laminate material manufactured by the 3Mâ„¢ Company with the trade name Proporeâ„¢.

The moisture transfer effectiveness of the system depends mostly on the ability of its membrane to transfer water vapour. This effectiveness is investigated by measuring the vapour diffusion resistance of Tyvek® and Propore™ using a dynamic moisture permeation cell. For Tyvek®, the average vapour diffusion resistance is 440 s/m, which corresponds to an expected typical RAEE energy recovery effectiveness of 52%. For Propore™, the average vapour diffusion resistance is 140 s/m, which corresponds to an RAEE effectiveness of 62% in the same exchanger system.

The air permeability is also measured using the DMPC with Tyvek® having a Darcy air flow resistance of 27 nm-1 and Propore™ having a Darcy air flow resistance of 111 nm-1. The lower air flow resistance of Tyvek® is undesirable since air transfer is undesirable in the RAEE system.

The liquid penetration pressure is determined using a modified standard method that resembles the geometry of a membrane in the RAEE exchanger. It is found that the Proporeâ„¢ has a liquid penetration pressure beyond the measurement capabilities of the apparatus (276 kPa); while the Tyvek® membrane has a liquid penetration pressure of 18 kPa which agrees well with published values……

…..The degradation of Tyvek® and Proporeâ„¢ with UVC exposure is also investigated. It is found that both materials deteriorate when exposed to UVC radiation, and that the degradation is primarily a function of the exposure time and not the exposure intensity.

Considering all material properties tested, it is concluded that the Propore™ membrane is a better membrane choice for the RAEE than the Tyvek® membrane.

My take on this: Propore (as in Frogg Toggs) is more waterproof but also more breathable than Tyvek. Am I getting that correct?

Christopher Chupka

@fattexan

Locale: NTX

Anyone know a Euro dealer online for the CAMP products?

Thanks

Christopher Holden
    BPL Member

@back2basics

Locale: Southeast USA

Allison,
    That's my take on it. I've neve worn Tyvek, only used it as a ground sheet. I have a set of DriDucks (owned by Frogg Toggs). The propore stuff is somewhat breathable, but I wouldn't rave about it. Some days when its really humid, it seems like it isn't breathing at all. It seems like it only works when outside humidity is less than inside. I think I'd like an Event jacket until I compare my $15 DriDucks with a $200+ Event option. Yep… still rocking my $15 jacket/pants combo when the clouds open up.
    Just looking at how Tyvek is made, I wouldn't think it to be very breathable in comparison to Propore. I had never considered it for anything more than a ground cloth or poncho. Ask the Sublite tent owners their thoughts.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

Christopher, I have compared Frogg Toggs (and DriDucks) head-to-head with eVent, and subjectively speaking I noticed no difference in breathability. I think all rainwear has this problem in that, when the humidity outside the shell is high or the fabric wets outs, breathability drops noticeably. The only thing that seems to drive breathability in those situations is the heat differential.

I had never before considered Tyvek to be "waterproof" which is why I was looking more deeply into the topic. It does indeed seem to be much less waterproof than ProPore, so for now I will stick with my DriDucks.

Monty Montana
    BPL Member

@tarasbulba

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Will, thanks for another terrific article! Having worked with Tyvec on construction sites, one thing I've noticed is that wherever the fabric is repeatedly folded, a definite degradation of the material ensues. A moot point I guess, given the outlandishly low cost, so replacement would not be an issue, but waterproofness probably would be over time.

Chris Jackson

@chris_jackson

Excellent article! The Tyvek pants are SUL. How durable are they compared to Propore and to Golite Reeds?

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

Will,

Wow! Impressive article! The best coverage I've seen of any OR show!

Thanks to a combination of this article and a Backcountryoutlet coupon posted in the "Gear Deals" section, I have a Diad on the way to my house!

William Frederick
    BPL Member

@bfrederi

Locale: Mid Atlantic

Will, thanks for the very interesting article. The Rainwear Comparision table wis helpful. However, as this article is about rainwear, is it possible that you could add a column showing some measure of the approximate range of "water resistance/proofness" of each type? This would be very helpful.

Thanks again.

Bill

martin cooperman
    Spectator

@martyc

Locale: Industrial Midwest

This was a very nice, well written and timely article. Particularly as I was about to purchase rain gear.

Note the following from the article: 'Ventilation is more important than fabric breathability. Opening pit zips, core vents, and a full front zipper make a huge difference in maintaining comfort'.

Only one garment reviewed has pit zips, the NF Diad and then with only small 8" zips. Apparently at that weight, you don't really get pit zips, regardless of price.

Cabella's Rainy River gear doesn't have them; nor do the Tyvek, Dri Ducks, etc. Nor does the upcoming MontBell Outpace Parka. Which may be fine for a brief afternoon shower in the Sierras, after which warm sunshine takes care of things. But not for a nasty weekend in the Appalachians, Whites, Adirondacks, etc. when sunshine may be a distant memory.

Looking over the bunch, I decided that none were going to do the job. Perhaps the MontBell Peak Shell gear might be the most reasonable option. Good breathability, but even better ventilation. A little heavier than 8oz (11oz on their web site), but 'huge pit zips'. And relatively inexpensive ($140-ish on sale at backcountrygear.com/$85-ish for the pants 8oz). So I bought them.

Until those interesting new technologies show up on a garment near me, it might just require a bit more than 8oz to be comfortable.

I'll let you know.
    Marty

Sebastian Ventris

@sabme

Locale: SW UK

Not sure where best to place this comment but:
    Is this all the reporting on ORSM 2008 where going to get??

Has the industry got so little going for it in terms of new gear or is BPL just trickling the info out to us? Or are you guys getting weary of it all?

Appreciated this article by the way. Got me thinking about Tyvek again (to: Rob Palmer, DG wanted $178 to ship to the UK!). Personally I don't rate Propore, way too fragile (to: Zane Dargaty no mention of Tyvek at froggtoggs.com. I just got a TNF Triumph Jacket half price, maybe I'll add my own pit zips.

More ORSM '08 GEAR Please!

Stop saying "Compass Broken?".

Will Rietveld
    BPL Member

@williwabbit

Locale: Southwest Colorado

Sebastian, there is a lot more coming. I know of at least 5 more roundup articles in the pipeline: backpacks, shelters, footwear, sleeping bags, and clothing. Stay tuned…

S. Steele
    Spectator

@sbsteele

Locale: North Central New Jersey

Will,
    Highly useful article.
    How about a product spreadsheet within each material category with model, weight, cost and any pertinent feature details or other aspects you deem important to provide?
    Trusting you have the time,
    Stuart

S. Steele
    Spectator

@sbsteele

Locale: North Central New Jersey

Will,
    Highly useful article.
    How about a product spreadsheet within each material category with model, weight, cost and any pertinent feature details or other aspects you deem important to provide?
    Trusting you have the time,
    Stuart

Sebastian Ventris

@sabme

That's good to know Will.
    Looking forward to more highlights.

Any comments on Epic garments to go with this article?
    I have Wild Things Gear Epic Windshirt & Pants. I used the Pants in heavy rain and they were really good. For some reason the Windshirt seems to wet out faster but is good against showers. I'd rate it between a regular windshirt and a waterproof. I tend to wear it a lot as it doesn't overheat as much as my waterproofs.

Thanks d: )

Grace Thrall
    Spectator

@thral001

Other manufacturers/distributors of disposable safety coveralls offer single-items for purchase online. I found 2 additional brands, "NexGen" and "Safe-N'-Clean" at http://www.galeton.com for under $5 each. Shipping is just under $9.
    The Safe-N'-Clean products, in particular, offer 3 inexpensive disposable coveralls that appear to vary by breathability and water-resistance.

Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

Locale: Rocky Mountains

I ordered several pairs of coveralls and pants in a few sizes today. I'll be modifying them and giving them out to a few friends to thrash and see how they do!

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

Christopher Chupka. I searched for Euro stockists of the E-vent rain gear for you, but couldn't find any. The CAMP website has no mention of any E-vent products either. :(

Ross Ulibarri
    BPL Member

@ulibarri

Locale: Southern Rockies

Will,

You gave the Isotope jacket a glowing review awhile back and stated that the "wetting out" issue had been solved. I bought one.

Have you changed your mind?–I thought you had used one extensively.

Thanks

Ross Ulibarri
    BPL Member

@ulibarri

Locale: Southern Rockies

Will,

You previously gave a glowing review to the Isotope jacket and said that the wetting out issues had been resolved. I bought one.

What's up? Changed your mind? I thought you had used one extensively.

Thanks

Anonymous
    Inactive

GTX-PacLite 3 3 4 4 1 spring, fall
    PU Laminate 3 3 4 3 2 spring, summer, fall

will, paclite is more breathable then PU Laminate, so why do you not reconmend it for summer use?

René

Joe Westing

@pedro87

It is great to see an in-depth roundup of gear even if it isn't completely comprehensive. I find these comparison articles to be by far the most useful as gear performance is a relative thing.

Jason Brinkman
    BPL Member

@jbrinkmanboi

Locale: Idaho

Went looking for somebody selling a TNF Triumph Anorak, and came up empty with the exception of a few closeouts of smalls or mediums. Is this jacket already discontinued?

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

Interesting point Jason!
    I just went to TNF website and they don't even acknowledge making a jacket called "Diad."

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

Tsk. Diad and triumph are so last season don't you know. ;-)

Sebastian Ventris

@sabme

Hey Jason Brinkman

I think they're just not doing the TNF Triumph Anorak for the Winter Season. I don't think they're discontinuing them.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 63 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools