Topic

JMT gear list feedback please

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists JMT gear list feedback please

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Brian UL

@maynard76

Locale: New England

O.K this is my proposed gear list for my upcoming JMT thru late this month.
    Its heavier than I would like but, I also need to balance long term comforts with light weight. I have been using a tarp/bivy combo for a few years pretty exclusively but always had curiosity about the Gatewood cape. I went as light as I could go with the tarp/bivy thing using a tarp/bivy that was probably too small but workable. Then comparing that system to the gatewood cape/serenity shelter I saw that I could apparently increase my comfort and space with little weight penalty …so I am going with a Gatewood this trip but, I am just using some cheap mosquito netting instead of the serenity shelter for money reasons for now.
    Also, I am not sure if I should bring my Tigoat take-down pole (4oz.) instead of the CF pole that goes with the Gatewood? I dont use poles and this is just a single pole but, it would be useful for snow fields and stream crossings ect. but I dont know if their will be much of either on the JMT this time of year?
    Not on the list is the garcia bear canister I will rent at the permit office and what I will be wearing:
    ball cap, Patagonia wool 2 t-shirt, shorts, and bandanna.

MLD Zip 10.50
    Gatewood cape w/stakes 13.00
    CF pole for gatewood 1.50
    Modified MS Wisp30 long quilt 20.00
    BMW Torsolite 10.00
    Stansport bug shroud 6.00
    Polycro ground sheet 1.50
    MLD pocket sz. M .60

MB Alpinelight down XL 14.00
    Marmot 07' Ion XL 6.00
    MH balaclava 2.00
    EMS poly bottoms 5.50
    Manzella polartec glove liners 2.00
    ininji socks/wool socks 2.00

Snowpeak 600 2.80
    Caldera cone system 2.00
    BPL long handled spoon .39
    Container for alcohol 1.00

Med kit 6.00
    toiletries 8.00
    Folding scissors .75
    Flint 1.00
    Sunnto simple compass 1.00
    Fenix L1D AA 1.70

Digital camera 6.00
    Mp3 player 4G sandisk 2.50

1 liter Platy 1.00
    2.5 liter Platy 1.30
    lil'nipper Platy .50

Total carried 8.61 lb.

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

Locale: White Mtns

Hey Brian,
    planning a JMT for next year so I have started playing with a list as well. I would personally leave the long sleeve behind and use the T. With your Mont Bell jkt I would not think the extra layer would be required unless you are a cold sleeper.

Brian UL

@maynard76

Jon,
    I wouldnt mind seeing your gear list.
    After some thought about the long sleeve vs short question I decided I should bring my wind shirt and forget about the long sleeve. At 6 oz its 4 oz lighter and still gives me some warmth and more importantly warmth through blocking convective heat loss and slowing evaporative cooling.
    So I updated my Gear list
    I also forgot to add my compass and flashlight!

Kurt Feeter

@teamrio

Locale: California Delta

Hi Brian,
    I am hitting the JMT late Aug. also and our lists and weights look a lot alike. I have the Gatewood and have never used it in any rough weather but I feel it will perform well for all three uses. Will has a great review here which you have probably seen.
    I am torn between my 20 degree WM superlight and the 40 degree Marmot Atom, but am tending toward the WM for the great sleep, and my "heavy" thermarest prolite 3.
    I am using a 3 oz. mylar emergency bivy as groundcloth and can crawl into just in case the cape fails for any reason. Bummer on the bear cannisters, but the freedom of camping anywhere is probably worth it. There are a lot of bear boxes along the way tho they may not always be where you want to camp.
    Also ordered some Leuko tape and benzoin in hopes that blisters won't be a pain…
    Good luck and happy hiking.

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

I just returned Friday from doing 35 miles of the JMT (Tuolumne Mdws to Reds Mdw) plus 65 miles of the PCT south of Cottonwood Pass.

Never needed any insulating layers, top or bottom, even in the morning. Temperatures were in the high 50s at night; high 70s to low 80s in the day.

Short vs long sleeves – let me suggest that you take the long sleeves.

Reasons: (1) long sleeves are more versatile. If you get too warm, push up the sleeves. If it gets chillier than expected, pull them down. You can't do that with a short sleeve shirt. (2)long sleeves provide sun protection, which you WILL need on the JMT. That sun gets bright and strong at 10,000 + feet. (3) long sleeves add a measure of mosquito protection as well. The skeeters were out (in low numbers) on both sides of Donohue Pass, and even more so around Cottonwood Pass and Kennedy Meadow.

Never needed my rain gear either.

Wandering Bob

ADDENDUM:
    Be advised, the rangers warned us about an very aggressive bear working the Thousand Island and Badger Lakes areas. This bear has even torn into the rangers tent at night with nothing inside but a sleeping bag, sleeping pad, and Rangerette. The rangers have talked to US Fish and Wildlife about this animal and have about come to the conclusion to kill it before it seriously injures someone. As the ranger said, "I don't feel safe in my own tent any more".

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Deleted – a moment of delirium..

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

I agree that for some a long sleeve shirt is def a better option especially when it comes to bugs. I just find I get too warm in them. When it comes to bugs I just put my Rab Quantum wind top of which does the job.

Brian,
    I will put the list up for you tomorrow. My base is around 10lbs with a bear canister. I am using a tarp and dual bivy system as I will be traveling with my wife.

Brian UL

@maynard76

I went down to my local REI today with my pack full of all the gear on the list sans my snowpeak/caldera cone to see if the Bear canister there would fit.
    It did, but its filled to capacity -not quite over flowing but full.
    Ill also be pushing the limits with the amount of weight I will be carrying but I knew that already.
    Here is a slightly blurry pic of my Zip with canister and all packed inside. For anyone wondering if the Ark and Exodus can hold one, now you can get an idea since the Zip has only 1750 cubic inches in the main pack body.

mld cannister test

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Brian, why not purchase the Bearvault Weekender. Lighter and smaller. You could re-supply at Reds Meadow, Muir Trail Ranch, Vermillion. That way you are not carrying as much food and your pack will be more happy!

Brian UL

@maynard76

I am going to rent a canister at the permit office.
    Bears are not a problem where i live so no one uses one.
    This will be a one-time thing so I cant justify buying one.
    I know you can rent one from Wild-Ideas but, $55.00 compared to $5? I just cant get myself to pay that.
    If I were to buy anything it would be an Ursack but they arnt allowed this year!

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

The northern end of the JMT is an easy re-supply; use any or all of Tuolumne Meadows, Reds Meadow, Vermillion Valley Resort, and Muir Trail Ranch. However, from Muir Trail Ranch south to Whitney Portal, it's an entirely different scenario.

Unless you can afford to have a commercial packer meet you along the trail (minimum $500) or can convince a friend/loved one to hump your supplies in, your options are few.

Your only viable near-trail options are to go west down to Roads End or go east down 2,620 feet to Onion Valley. At Onion Valley, you can either resupply at the OV Pack Station ($75) or try to hitch into Independence to pick up your box at the post office. Odds are good you'll have to (want to) stay overnight in a motel – avoid weekends – and eat at least two meals there. Then you still have to hitch a ride back to Onion Valley.

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

here is what I am thinking so far Brian. This list does not include my "10 essentials" kit as the wife normally carries that. Her base weight is around 6 lbs norm. The one below is slightly over 10 lbs. I def could go lighter than what I have below, but I also want a few comforts (i.e. extra shirt/underwear). The only thing I am not sure of is what kind of light source I may carry. I am going between my Fenix L1D or my Arc AAA. I am thinking we will be turning in before dark, but it may be nice to have a real bright source in the event we need to make up some miles, or spot whatever may be lurking in the bushes (never hikes in bear contry before)

Ibex Balance Boxer shorts 2.9
    Rail Riders EcoMesh pants 9
    Ibex Echo T 5
    Darn Tough 3/4 cush sock 1.5
    OR Sunrunner hat 1
    Inov8 Roclite 295 21.07
    Simblissity Levegaiters 1.2
    TIMEX Expedition Chrono 1.10
    Life Link Guide Ultralites 14
    NativeEyeWear shades 0.65
    Ibex Meru Beanie 1
    Ibex Balance Breif (spare) 2.9
    Ibex Liner glove 1
    Ibex Echo T 5
    Darn Tough 3/4 cush sock 1.5
    Integral Designs eVent jkt 10.3
    Patagonia Houdini pants 3
    Rab Wind Top 2.95
    BMW Cocoon Pullover 10
    BMW Cocoon Pro90 quilt 13.6
    Thermarest RidgeRest (short) 8
    Oware Flattarp 2 13.5
    6 Vargo stakes + Line locks + spectra line 2.68
    Oware Simple 2 person Bivy 13
    Gossomer Gear Pack liner 1.5
    Mountain Laural Designs Super Zip + assesories 16.50
    (2x) Gatorade water bottles 1.5
    32 Oz Platy bottle 0.8
    Wild Idea's Bearikade Weekender MKII 31.00

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Jonathan:

Nice list. Totals 8.7 pounds carried plus 3.6 pounds worn.

I didn't see any kitchen or eating gear on your list. What are you doing for a stove, fuel, pot, spoon, etc?

Also missing – water treatment capability. What are you using? There's a lot of horse traffic (and "deposits") along the JMT – especially the north end.

Since most of us go solo, please add the shared gear carried by your wife so we can get a complete list.

Thanks.

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

Hey Bob,
    here you go. We will be carrying Aqua Mira for water treatment. As for the stove we will be using the BPL Ti Wing with esbit. The list is a work in progress so I may have missed a few things and some things do not have weights yet. I also have below a few things added into my pack I did not put in the inital list.

My 10's kit
    Hydropel skin ointment 1.00
    4 oz Container of rubbing alcohol 0.50
    Arc AAA 1.05
    Spare AAA battery 0.30
    4 oz Container of rubbing alcohol 0.50
    Aqua Mira (in goss mini dropper) 0.70
    Cannon SD1000 Elf 4.40

Rachels Gear and 10's kit
    Patagonia Long Haul Shorts 4
    Ibex wool T 5
    Smartwool Adrenaline socks 1
    Royal Robbins hat 3
    Brooks Cascadia TR's 20
    Dirty Girl Gaiters 1
    Casio watch 1.5
    Life Link Guide Ultralites 14
    Smith sunglasses 0.65
    Ibex Beanie 1
    Patagonia Wool 2 T 4
    Ibex Liner gloves 1
    Smartwool Adrenaline socks 1
    Mont Bell Peak jkt 11
    Wild Things Epic pants 6
    Golite Wind shirt 3
    Mont Bell Thermawrap UL jkt 7.6
    Sleeping Quilt 15
    Thermarest RidgeRest (short) 8
    ULA Conduit 20
    Snow Peak 600 mug 2.8
    BPL Ti Wing stove + wind sheild 0.54
    BPL SUL Long Handle Spoon (x2) 0.78
    (2x) Gatorade water bottles 1.50

Hydropel skin ointment 1
    4 oz Container of rubbing alcohol 4
    4 oz Doctor Bronners 4
    40 Tylenol PM
    digestive med's
    1oz suntan lotion 1
    Vitorinox Classic knife 1
    ID ziper sack 0.5
    Arc AAA 0.75
    5 Feet Duct tape
    5 Feet LuekoTape
    5 zip ties
    Aqua Mira (in goss mini dropper) 0.7
    50 REI Matches
    10 Feet Dental floss
    sewing needle
    Super glue
    finger tooth brush
    Suunto Compass 2
    TP
    (2x) Ipod Shuffles 1.1

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Jonathan:

Thanks. I too use Esbit. You'll have to bring all the fuel tablets you need with you because they are not available anywhere along or near the trail. I did leave a full box of 12 in the Hiker Box at Kennedy Meadows (south), but you won't get that far.

Let me suggest that you add a cheap Bic lighter to your kit. It makes starting the Esbit tablets much easier than fighting with matches. Save the matches for your 10 Essentials kit.

Take a good look at the BPL UL Mosquito Headnet (0.3 oz @). Well worth the money. We had a goodly number of skeeters and small black (non-biting) flies on the JMT last week. My wife hates bugs flying in her face so she didn't mind the cost.

Yes, you'll want and appreciate a light that can reach out into the bushes in bear country. You'll never hear them approach until they're beside you so while answering nature's late-night call, it's comforting to be able to scan the area before you set out looking for the little boy's tree. We also carry a red Photon on a cord for use inside the tent. The headlamp is too blinding in there.

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

hey Bob,
    thanks for the feedback. Yea Esbit is just so light and easy. Plus not affected by altitude. We are planning it is to send via priority mail (ground) to Tuolomne to pick up on day one (doing 20 mile days). Bic lighter is a good suggestion but I use the REI windproof matches (aka mini flares). Just light one, sit it right on top of the tab and it lights. Works every time. Good call on the head netting, I was wondering about that.

Brian UL

@maynard76

Jon, thanks for taking the time to post that.
    I was thinking of using esbit myself but the Caldera cone works so well in the wind. Esbit is easier to carry though(no alcohol). I should think more about it.
    I forgot the sunglasses and I think a watch would be usefull for dead reckoning ect.
    I keep meaning to make a head net form the nano-seeum I have but, wasnt sure if I needed one.
    Thanks.

– still debating if I should bring my Tigoat pole?

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

hey Brian,
    No problem. I spoke with Rand at Trail Designs and he recommended esbit for a trip like this used in the caldera cone. It is nice that you can blow it out when you are finished cooking as well.

Brian UL

@maynard76

Jonathan, Bob,
    Thanks for convincing me to go with Esbit. I rarely use it because of the residue so I didnt really consider it. After looking at the threads on the Gramcracker I knew it was the way to go. You guys seriously saved me a lot of grief!!
    The only problem was that Traildesigns is at O.R. so the only place I could get a Gramcracker was Campsaver who dont use the USPS so I really eat it on shipping to get it here on time.

less than 10 days left -crunch time.
    Thank you everyone, you all have been a real help!

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

Hey Brian,
    I found Rand's email to me on esbit for the JMT. Take a look, lots of great info.

"As to 10 days with 2 cup boils each day. If you are truly counting
    grams, I suggest you go with our esbit solution…the Gram
    Cracker…over alcohol. It is more efficient (BTU/gram of weight)
    than alcohol, the "stove" is much lighter, will never leak in your
    pack, and is relatively insensitive to altitude differences. Esbit typically beats alcohol
    every time in the cone.

Each esbit tablet is something like 14gm/.5oz and the GramCracker
    stove is 7 grams. As to fuel usage with esbit, you can EASILY get a

cup boil on one tablet…..and….depending on water temp and
    altitude…..I have often been able to blow out the tablet after 2
    cups of water boiled and still have enough to do another 2 cup boil!
    For safety sake, I would still probably count on one esbit tablet a
    day.

Now….the philosophy…..what I think happens in "normal" cooking
    situations is that windscreens are loose, air flow dodgy, and heat
    transfer inefficient. So, if you have an esbit solution with a
    normal

windscreen/pot setup, the flame is very lazy and gets knocked around
    alot. That is the reason I think most people go with the
    "jetted"/pressure alcohol stoves….to direct and force the heat in
    the direction they want. Now, with the Caldera Cone in place, the
    "lazyness" of the esbit flame isn't an issue…..all the heat is
    captured inside the cone environment and blankets the pot. So, with
    the advent of the cone, the inherently higher heat content in the
    esbit tips the scale back in favor of it for efficiency."

Michael Smith
    BPL Member

@lovinco

Brian and Jonathan,

I am planning a JMT trip August 8-27, 2010 with a couple of other men. I am thinking of using a Gatewood Cape for shelter and a Caldera Cone with Esbit for cooking. Based on your experiences, what would you change on your lists, if anything? How much insulation are we likely to need in jackets and sleeping bags? Any other suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

Scott Bentz
    BPL Member

@scottbentz

Locale: Southern California

I will chime in, if you don't mind.

I used the Gatewood Cape last year on my JMT thruhike. We had 2 nights of rain. I also used a bivy. The truth is, I only set the Gatewood up 4 out of the 13 nights we spent on the trail. When there was no chance of rain I did not set it up and just slept under the stars. Once, we had rain all night long (a rarity in August). Since we had to set up near dark we picked a spot that was not ideal as it was on a bit of a slant. I stayed completely dry except for water seepage underneath; the bivy did help. The next day was wet so my son wore the Cape as a rain cover. I was wearing my dri-ducks. It works well as rain gear too! If you are comfortable in this shelter you should be fine in any condition you will find in August.

I did not use a Caldera, My son and I shared a canister and stove. That was a good set up but we ended up carrying an 4 oz. canister to the end and never used it. I now have a Caldera GVP. I like it because you can use exactly the amount of fuel you need. It is light also. I would figure 1 tablet a day using Esibt. That would be enough to boil water for dinner. I did not boil water any other time.

I think my profile has a JMT list still. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions. The hike is awesome and doing it lightly makes it much more enjoyable.

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

I see we are revising an old 2008 JMT gear list thread. Very well, I'll add my two cents.

I too did the JMT August 1-20 of last summer, using a Gatewood Cape, Serenity Net Tent, and Caldera Cone (esbit). Like the previous poster, I set my cape up about three times, the net tent solo once. Bugs were rare in August so the net tent was hardly used and could have been left behind. I found the Picardin-based insect repellent wipes kept even the skeeters at bay nicely. I'll leave my net tent behind this summer on the Colorado Trail and save 7 ounces. I will still take my headnet.

My Gatewood Cape never saw rain on the trip, but it did weather two straight days of very high winds. I estimate the gusts reached 50 to 60 mph at Onion Valley campground.

Contrary to my 2008 post, Esbit tablets are now available at the Mt Whitney Hostel in Lone Pine, at the Whitney Portal store, and at Muir Trail Ranch.

Brian UL

@maynard76

Hi,
    I think you will do just fine with a Gatewood and esbit/cone.
    If I did it again I would bring more gear and take more time but you have to work with the time you have. I did wish I had brought my bivy ( a SMD Meteor ) because as others have said it would be great to just throw a bivy on the ground and sleep under the stars protected from any bugs and wind. Mosquitoes weren't a problem outside specific areas but I always hear it strongly depends on the year and time of the year so its prudent to have some form of bug protection. A serenity bug net would be just fine. I found the ants to be a bigger problem then the mosquitoes but again it was limited to specific areas.
    I would ship your ESBIT in your resupply and/or ship some to Yosemite's/Lonepine post office to start if you don't want to risk them not having any. No one sold it any where when I did it but it sounds like that may of changed.
    For insulation I would be prepared for 20 degree nights- that way you will be covered. remember that it will be a lot colder the higher up you are. I had a lot of cold nights at or below freezing ( frost on my bag and ice in my water bottle) but I tended to camp around 9-10 thousand feet at least because I liked going over the passes in the morning/afternoon.
    Last thing I would do differently is use a frame pack. My MLD frameless worked fine but a frameless is not the best tool for the job of carrying a full bear canister.
    Don't forget the lip balm. Have a great trip.

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

In Aug 2009. esbit tablets were available at the Mt Whitney Hostel in Lone Pine, at the Whitney Portal store, and at Muir Trail Ranch.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools