Topic

Any suggestions re: Sangre de Cristos?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Any suggestions re: Sangre de Cristos?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Paul Sturrock

@byblow

I want to do a 3-5 day trek next week, or just find a nice camp site (that takes no more than a day to reach) with interesting trails nearby for dayhiking. I drive a Toyota Camry, so jeep trails are out for me. I would appreciate any advice!

Paul Sturrock

@byblow

I like water features and prefer trails that follow creeks or cross them periodically, especially since I like to filter my water as I need it. I love alpine lakes, too. Thanks!

Christopher Chupka

@fattexan

Locale: NTX

The Sangre de Christo range is fairly rugged and dry. There are lakes in the valleys and bowls but streams up higher will be very intermittent. Getting up and down into the bowls or valleys will probably require some scrambling.

If you fish South Colony Lakes would be great, also day hikes up the peaks that are in the area. There are 5 Fourteeners that could be done as day hikes, Humboldt is class 2 but the rest are class 3.

The only thing I have done in the area is climb Crestone Peak, Needle, and Humboldt. I slept at the South Colony Lakes, beautiful area.

View of Needle and trail sign.
    Trailhead Crestone Needle

Looking east into the valley where Westcliffe is from Humboldt.
    West from Humboldt

View from Peak looking into valley SW of Colony Lakes
    From Crestone Peak

I did not take as many pictures as I wanted to, this was typical weather for the few days I was there, looking up the 3rd class route.
    Class 3 route

Paul Sturrock

@byblow

Wow, thanks for the thoughtful reply and great photos. Kinda dry up high, huh? Maybe I should go a little farther, say to Durango.

Christopher Chupka

@fattexan

Locale: NTX

A fun little adventure is to take the train from Durango. There are several points along the way the train will stop and pickup/drop off backpackers.

Durango Narrow Gauge Railroad

Go to About, then Wilderness Info. Years ago my brother and I did a multiday loop, dropped off at Elk Park, up and over a couple passes, down into Chicago Basin, and then down to be picked up by the train. No pics though, I need to scan them in.

Cathy Fraser

@outdoorchick

I am new to this site so if you are doing a hike in this area again make another post. There are so many backpacking and day hikes in the area that I have not been able to them all in 10 years!!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools