Topic

A question for tarp campers

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique A question for tarp campers

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Damien Tougas
    BPL Member

@dtougas

I am in the process of evaluating shelter options for backpacking with my family of 5. One possible option I have come up with that looks somewhat appealing to me is purchasing a Hilleberg Nallo 4 GT. The GT has a huge vestibule. What I am thinking is that I would put my wife and kids in the tent, and I would sleep in the vestibule in a bivy. We would get the best of both worlds, my wife and kids wouldn't have to deal with a floorless shelter and I would get to sleep under a tarp. The floorplan of the tent is here:

Nallo GT Floorplan

My question for you tarp campers is this: is 83" (the width of the vestibule) going to be long enough for me in a bivy? I am relatively short (5'7"), but I am concerned that I might be too close to the sides of the shelter. Any thoughts?

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

I think the tent would be an awesome choice for you. Personally, I wouldn't be concerned about the width– 83" – 67" gives you 16 inches to play. If you assume that the walls slope in 4 inches from ground to your supine head and feet height, you'd still have 8 inches of space. And with this tent, I'm pretty sure you won't have that much slope…

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

The only 'problem' i can see is with condensation. With 5 people in there, it could be significant. But as you're using a bivvy bag, it should be a manageable one.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools