Topic

Tyvek Ultralite OmnicovR – Anyone use this?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Tyvek Ultralite OmnicovR – Anyone use this?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Frank Baker
    BPL Member

@wildswolfe

Got lots of good sewing tips last month when I posted about sewing a bivy sack so I thought I ask if anyone has used this type Tyvek (8×10 $30 Hard, $40 Soft)available from Material Concepts to make a cheap tarp until if and when Gossamer Gear finds spinnaker cloth to get back into selling The One, Squall Classic and Twinspinn (which is way I really want to go for a shelter). Have researched previous posts about using Tyvek and there doesn't seem to be a clear consensus on exactly how much water will get through Tyvek when used as a tarp. I figure I'm willing to spend the $30-$40 to find out. In the southwest where I camp rain is usually a brief event and I'm hoping the Tyvek will work for awhile. Anybody have any experience using the above mentioned product and what glue/fastening system have you used for tie-outs and reinforcements?

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Frank
    By stating "this type of Tyvek" it means that at least you are aware that Tyvek is a family of products and not just one as most seem to think.
    Have a look at this chart from Dupont, it lists all of the specs including waterhead figures.
    http://www2.dupont.com/Tyvek/en_US/products/tyvek_styles/tyvek_styles.html
    The type that some use as tent material is the 1443R.
    Franco

Mike Nielsen

@geophagous

Locale: Pacific North West

I made a tarptent with with material. Works quite well, and when under a tree lasted all night in a slight drizzle with no water getting through.

I used Gorilla glue for my gluing. While it is probably overkill it remains flexible and makes a bond that exceeds the fabric strength.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools