Topic

Quinoa questions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Quinoa questions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

I remember the first time I tried to find quinoa. I wasn't pronouncing it keen-wa and the lady in the store kept giving mye funny looks. She knew me from my going to the store for years and when she finally figured out that I wanted "keen-wa" she started laughing (she couldn't help herself). Tracy still teases me about it when I go in the store and this happened decades ago.

Anyway I just thought it was cute… now to give you some hints on how to find it Christopher.

The three major companies are Arrowhead Mills, Bob's Red Mill and Ancient Harvest. Often times it is in the organic foods section of the store or with the vegetarian foods. Often times I had to go to a health food store that carries gluten free products to find it. Our bulk store carries it here too. If you get really stuck you should be able to order online.

Just another site of interest…. http://www.quinoa.net – it shows you how it is grown and harvested.

Eric Fitz

@pounce

Dicentra OPW

@dicentra

Locale: PNW

Bob's Red Mill and Ancient Harvest, you can order quinoa directly from them. I don't know the Arrowhead Mills brand Laurie mentions, but they don't have a store on their website.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Di, Arrowhead is sold at places like PCC – but isn't a well known company. Personally…their products are a bit off to me. Bob's is better.

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Christopher Holden
    BPL Member

@back2basics

Locale: Southeast USA

All,
    Thanks for your helpful suggestions about quinoa. I was able to find some of the Ancient Harvest brand locally. I did not recognize it by name or by looks, but once cooked, the taste was familiar. I haven't eaten it in the last 20+ years, but I remember it being cooked it with lemon pepper and pine nuts and served on the side when I would bring home the rewards of a good day of fishing.
    Weekends are always better with a bit of nostalgia. Maybe next weekend I can go fishing and recreate a good meal!

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

Locale: Middle Virginia

I like the red quinoa better than the regular.

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

So do I Donna – unfortunately it is sometimes hard for me to find. I recently found a Canadian supplier for Indian Harvest that I hope will be around for the long term…

http://www.shalitfoods.com/canada/indianharvest_products2.php

Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools