Topic

Trapper Mug water quantity

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Trapper Mug water quantity

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    M G
    BPL Member

@drown

Locale: Shenandoah

For those of you who have been backpacking with a Titanium BPL trapper mug which holds about 475ml of water what sort of food do you add this amount of water to.

I'm looking for dehydrated meals that will work with 475ml of boiling water. Do you make your own? Do you do multiple boils ( seems to defeat the purpose)? Is this mug solely for hot drinks and cold (i.e. no cook) food. I'm very curious as I like the idea of this SUL cup but would like to know what food you can make with this little hot water.

Thanks.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

475 ml = a tiny bit over 2 cups which is plenty for most freezerbag meals.

M G
    BPL Member

@drown

Locale: Shenandoah

Chris thanks for your response

I guess I was assuming a metric cup which is 250 ml. This makes a lot more sense. Can you get the mug to a full boil when it is that full without spillage? Are you using a homemade foil lid of any sort?

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

I actually don't have the trapper mug. I have a the 550ml cup which came with a lid. You're bound to lose a little if you go to a full boil with a full cup though. I'd probably use a piece of foil for the lid like you mentioned. If you're using treated water anyway then you don't need to get to a rolling boil, it just needs to be hot enough to satisfy you.

Best I can find 1 cup = 236.6 ml in metric.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

When I dehydrate food I vacuum seal it with my Foodsaver machine. When I'm traveling SUL with no bowl or cookpot I cut the top off the package and pour about two cups boiling water right into the bag.

Last weekend I took my Trapper Mug with me into the hills to test it alongside the prototype Caldera Cone designed for the Trapper. The quantity of water was just enough to rehydrate my dinner.

Trapper Mug - Sam drinking coffee

It also makes a perfect size for a cup of coffee ; )

Ryan Stoughton
    BPL Member

@txtengu

Locale: Seattle

Hi Sam,

How'd the Caldera Cone work? I picked one up but haven't had it on the trail yet. (That will change next week.) The mug fits pretty tight and seems like it would be difficult to remove and pour hot water into anything without burnt fingers. I emailed Rand and received prompt replies from both him and George. Rand reccomended leaving the cup in the cone while transferring the liquid which seems like a great idea. What method did you use to transfer the hot water from mug to bag?

Ryan

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

I just finished extensive gear testing on the Caldera Cone (the AGG kit) and I am really impressed. I should be posting my review of it in the next few weeks.

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

I use a Caldera Cone with a 0.9L pot and the cone stays attatched to the pot as I pour. Looks a little odd but causes no problems.

Caldera … I'll never go back!

Laurie: BTW I finally got around to ordering your cookbook yesterday. Don't know what took me so long. Looking forward to expanding my trail menu!

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Yes, Ryan the Caldera System as I'm sure Rand, Russ, George, Matt or anyone else affiliated with AGG or TD will tell you (and probably Laurie as well when she finishes her review) works best when left on the pot after cooking. Since the metal on them is lightweight it is easy to maneuver your pot around with the cone still attached. It maintains its ability to act as a sturdy base for the pot and elevates it off the ground helping to minimize convective heat loss too. So, all oddness aside as Michael puts, I don't find it a nuisance at all.

For the record I have a Caldera system for my Snowpeak 900mL, Firelite 550mL and Trapper Mug 475mL – all of which are engineered with extreme precision.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools