Topic

pulse oximeters and altitude acclimatization

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Mountaineering & Alpinism pulse oximeters and altitude acclimatization

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Chris Jackson

@chris_jackson

While acclimatizing I follow the mountaineers maxim, `sleep no higher than 1000 ft above your previous nights camp'. But I'm curious as to whether a pulse oximeter can be used to provide a more accurate estimate of maximum sleeping altitude?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Chris,
    I suspect you might be able to derive a partial answer by analyzing some of the data provided by a pulse oximeter. I'll also bet you could get a better informed answer to your question if you could pull Dean Fellabaum(an MD) away from his lovefest with Rog and Timothy over in Chaff. Ditto John P (Shannon? also an MD) last sighted in the Ciprofloxacin thread.
    My 2 cents: Stick with the 1000' rule of thumb and listen closely to what your body is telling you-it's got a pulse oximeter hard wired into the system. You may well find that you can exceed the 1000' ROT as you gain more experience. Only time will tell.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

I have not gotten into mountaineering so have no experience with pulse oximeters for that.

In a brief search online it appears they are used to determine how well someone is acclimatizing to a given altitude. I suspect the outfitters have a lower limit of oxygen saturation that must be maintained before a client is allowed to continue going up the mountain. And if the oxygen saturation is below that level, the client is taken down to a lower camp.

http://www.high-altitude-medicine.com/SaO2-table.html

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools