Topic

Does National Geographic TOPO! include trails?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Does National Geographic TOPO! include trails?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Richardson

@arichardson6

Locale: North East

Hey everyone,

So I've been looking for trails to hike and I haven't really been successful. I'm thinking of buying national geographic TOPO!, but I read on Amazon that you have to download trails in order to seem them and that not all states are available.

Is this true? If so, can anyone with New England tell me what states are available?

Basically, I want to be able to see trails on map and either construct loops or find a loop that meets a certain distance criteria. Does TOPO! list trails and their lengths? If so, it's well worth it's price to me.

Thanks!
    Andrew

Tim Heckel
    Spectator

@thinair

Locale: 6237' - Manitou Springs

Hi Andrew,
    I have Colorado and Wyoming NG Topo! software and have been using it for several years.
    The content is based on USGS maps. If the trail is on a USGS map it is in Topo!(not all trails are on USGS maps). NG provides the ability to update the data when it becomes available.
    The trail distances are not part of the content.
    But the software has a tool that allows you to trace the trail you want to hike and report distance and elevation change information.
    Tim

Bill B
    BPL Member

@bill123

Andrew,
    The NG Topo for New England covers all of CT, MA, ME, NH, RI & VT.
    Some of the trails are updated and some are not. You will know if they are updated because they will be show in red next to the older trail that was shown as a divided black line on the original topo. The trail locations are probably not as accurate as those shown on a topo made by a commercial mapping company like the AMC topo series.

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

In the lower left corner of USGS Quad maps there is data regarding the date of various updates to that map. The NG maps don't show the margins of the maps so there's no way to know which update they show.

Shawn Rynerson
    BPL Member

@veric13

You can also find websites that have very detailed information on hiking. Hikearizona is one that has hundreds of hikes with maps, pictures, discriptions and difficulty ratings for them. Might be one for NE. And it is free.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools