Topic

Most breathable windshirt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Most breathable windshirt

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Matthew L.
    BPL Member

@gungadin

Locale: Pittsburgh, PA

Hi everyone. I am looking for the most breathable windshirt on the market. I do want some sort of DWR on it for drizzle protection. I don’t really have much of a preference for hooded or hoodless designs or full-zip or half-zip just that it breathes well and is as light as possible. It would mainly be used for backpacking and running when it is somewhat cool with a light breeze and with rain threatening. I have checked out many, many jackets and these are the ones that are in the running:

1. Patagonia Houdini (hooded, fullzip, 4 ounces)
    2. Patagonia Dragonfly (hooded or hoodless,halfzip,3.5 oz
    3. Montbell U.L. Windshirt (hoodless, fullzip, 2.6)
    4. Montane Aero (hoodless, halfzip, 2.5-2.9)
    5. Outdoor Research Ion (hooded, 3/4 zip, 3.5)
    6. Montane Featherlite (hoodless, full or half zip, 3-3.5
    7. Golite Wisp (hoodless, halfzip, 2.5)
    8. Golite Ether (hooded, halfzip, 3)
    9. Marmot Chinook (hooded, halfzip, 3)

Which do you like the best? Are there any that you like better? Thanks for your help!

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson

Having tried a number on your list and currently owning a 2 year old Chinook (which I still think highly of) , I would get the one missing on your list– the only hooded Pertex Quantum windshirt available—the recently discontinued Marmot Ion.
    Feature and cut wise similar to the Chinook (just ever so slightly shorter in the body and tighter in the chest. 3.1 oz. in L.

I just got mine from http://www.marmotmountain.com at a closeout price of $69.95.
    From the trail run I did the other day, I can tell it breathes a little better and shed a light rain better as well.

By the way, the Chinook like the Ion is a full zip. Chinook in L is 3.75 oz.

Matthew L.
    BPL Member

@gungadin

Locale: Pittsburgh, PA

Have you tried the Montane Aero? It is made of Quantum as well, and I was wondering if there was a difference between the breathability of the Aero and Marmot Ion since they both use the same shell fabric.

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson

Yes and none that I could tell –I like Montane products for their cut and quality but the hood is a must in a windshirt for me, hence the Ion.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools