Topic

Trekking Poles

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Trekking Poles

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Peter Atkinson
    BPL Member

@peterbob

Locale: Yorkshire, England

I'm looking for some trekking poles that I can use for a number of purposes – trekking, skiing and as tent/tarp poles. is there anything out there that can do the job?

The Life-link Guide Ultra Light will do, but it weighs 14oz, and I'd like to think I'd get lighter poles. Do you think that the Backpacking Light STIX Carbon Fiber Trekking Poles could do the job?

Any suggestions/thoughts would be most welcome!

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

STIX, certainly, or Ti Goat
    Cheers

Peter Atkinson
    BPL Member

@peterbob

Really? The Ti Goat ones are adjustable as well – and they are still ok for skiing? If so I'll wait for some to be back in stock, if not I'll get the STIX.

Ace!

Ross Bleakney
    BPL Member

@rossbleakney

Locale: Cascades

I wouldn't use trekking poles for the winter. I tend to be much harder on poles when skiing or even aggressively snow shoeing (going downhill). I've damaged poles that way. I would go with the winter Black Diamond poles for the winter. You pay a weight penalty, but they are really solid. Either that or I would just get a pair of lightweight aluminum ski poles (which are fairly cheap) for the winter. But that is just me.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Right on, Ross. The BD Flintlock locking mechanism is bombproof, as are their poles in general. The carbon fiber ones weigh in at a little over 17 oz, which isn't bad for conventional poles. They're the best I have found so far for snowshoeing on typical steep Cascade terrain.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> The Ti Goat ones are adjustable as well – and they are still ok for skiing?
    Well, you did say you wanted than for all applications. Clearly some compromises would have to be made for this. It is up to you whether that compromise should be towards light weight for walking or towards bombproof for skiing.

If you want to do aggressive Telemark than you will need separate ski poles. If you want to do gentle XC skiing, then the Ti Goat would be OK *if you took care*. We use them for snow shoeing. I don't think the adjustable section will give away all that easily, but you could of course fall over and snap the pole.

Cheers

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@djohnson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

People always get jazzed about the Black Diamond Poles and the truth is that their Flicklock system is more reliable than other locking poles (except the Komperdell Power Lock system which is virtually the same as the BD system, but is offered on much lighter C2 carbon poles). However, NOTHING is more reliable than a fixed length pole.

The new Stix are actually repackaged Komperdell Featherlight poles which are REALLY tough (see the review on this site). I've used these poles for everything from agressive snowshoeing including cliff jumps to backpacking to XC skiing. They have lasted very well. I've also used the lightest BD poles and these fixed-length poles are MUCH lighter and also more durable, in my experience.

I've never used the Ti Goat poles but I think it's safe to say that the locking mechanism will not be as reliable in rough conditions as these other options.

If you want adjustable, look closely at the Komperdell C2- I've also pounded these and they are still working perfectly.

Another really neat pole is the Komperdell Nature Stick Carbon. A bit heavier but SO beautiful. Worth a look.

Best of luck with your purchase!
    Doug

Peter Atkinson
    BPL Member

@peterbob

Thank you all for your comments; I think I am torn between a fixed length pole, and an adjustable. I guess the only reason not to have fixed length is the fact it would probably be odd carrying it about on the back of a rucksack – I can be clumsy at the best of times and I can see me taking my friends eye out with swift turn!

My skiing is all downhill, on and off piste, so I think a fixed length will probably suit me best.

Thanks again for your advice; any additional comments would be welcomed but I don't think there are many other alternatives out there – I just need to make up my mind!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools