Topic

The parodox of gear materials

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) The parodox of gear materials

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

It is an interesting paradox that so many who enjoy being in the wilderness use some very toxic and non-sustainable materials.

Ultralight hikers are not the only culprits– mainstream hiking, climbing, hunting, skiing, cycling, and running gear all utilize a lot of toxic plastics, chemicals, exotic metal alloys, disposable batteries, and food packaging.

A related issue is the manufacture of our gear in Third World sweat shops and factories where pollution controls and worker safety standards are poor or non-existant.

It seems to me that some efforts need to be made to use recycled and non-toxic materials, to protect the environment and the people who make our coveted toys.

Has it struck anyone that we buy materials made by some of the largest polluters on the planet? What is the outcome of our use of silicone coated nylon, Spectra/Dyneema, polyurethane, Teflon, Delrin/acytal resin, polyethelene, titanium and aluminum alloys, synthetic foams, Lexan (polycoarbonate) and so on?

What happens to our worn out gear? Can it be recycled or does it go to the landfill to leach into our soil and water for generations?

Are there practical alternatives? Should we give points to those manufacturers who use sustainable materials made in humane, safe, factories as well as their light weight and hiking utility?

J R

@ravenul

Dale, Ive been thinking alot about this lately.

Not sure Ive come up with any conclusions yet.

larry savage
    Spectator

@pyeyo

Locale: pacific northwest

I agree that the techinical materials are not environmentally friendly, there are some green choices out there[i.e. patagonia] but the landfills are not filling up with this kind of waste,impact of manufacturing processes aside most of our equipment is not use it and toss it, I still have equipment from the 60’s still perfectly functional. Many things we might think of as green, like cotton, are extremely bad environmentally and produced in enormous quanities. The on going increase in raw petroleum prices are going to bring about a significant shift in how we manufacture,process, and transport goods. The green revolution is coming…

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I think the issue centers on our lifestyle — and not in any one or two activities or hobbies.

Except for stoking our own egos, what good is it to practice LNT when the rest of the time, we drive huge SUV’s (some of us have legit needs but many of us really don’t), or crank up our heaters because we are more comfy wearing tees and shorts even in winter, or enjoy a 45-minute shower every day?

I am not attacking any of the above three activities per se, but just using them as illustrative examples.

Collectively as a society, we Americans use more energy and resources than anybody else on this planet. Sadly, I’m not even sure that we are moving the right direction — I still see A LOT of “I want bigger, meaner gear/toys” mentality.

larry savage
    Spectator

@pyeyo

Locale: pacific northwest

I agree with you completely,we have to live conscientious of our impact on the planet.I spent several seasons smugly driving around Washington,Idaho,and Montana[a really big state] mountain bike racing,”wow,I’m sooo good because I ride bicycles!”The energy equivalent of moving 1 rider several hundred miles with 2 bicycles in a suv is like building a mousetrap that uses a 50 sticks if dynamite.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools