Topic

Montbell Alpine Light Down Parka SPOTLITE REVIEW

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Montbell Alpine Light Down Parka SPOTLITE REVIEW

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 26 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Kenneth Rexach

@sneakyracer

High, I know this post is a tad late but I just recently joined this forum and like to post this for anyone in the market for this jacket. Just got the Montbell Alpine Light Down Parka and would like to comment on sizing (the review doesnt cover that at all).

I got this jacket is size Large (USA), the tag inside the jacket is marked as such (also says Europe Large and Japan XL). The jacket is cut VERY short. I measured a Center Back length of only 26 inches!! That is as long (or short) as some othe Mfg's SMALL sized jacket (or women's size). Even the Mountain Hardwear Phantom jacket, which is considered somewhat short measures around 27.5-28" in medium. I measured three jackets I have in large, 2 from Marmot and one from First Ascent and they all measured 28.5-29in center back length. What is weird is that the sleve length is correct (similar to the other jackets I have) and the chest is also close in size to other jackets. So If you are a stocky 5'-10" or less it might be ok.

That aside. The Monbell ALDP is awesome if it fits you. It packs down very small and has a TON of loft for the weight. The construction and materials are high quality. Its a warm jacket, much warmer than a patagonia down sweater and alpine ascents downlight sweater (both of which are thin). This montbell jacket has much more loft and a nice hood. I would definately keep it if it was 2-3in longer. Its a really good value for the money no question.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

figured someone might get this in a search, so I'll update it

I have the new 2010 version and it nows weighs in an ounce more- w/ that additional weight comes a drawstring waist (feature I like), 0.1 oz more fill :) and to the point made by the above poster- they've lengthened the parka, in size Large the center back measurement is 29"- a full 3" longer- this is probably most of the new weight- again a welcomed feature

also I'd call the sizing generous. I was going to order a XL (normally a Large) so it would layer over a base layer, mid-layer and possibly a thin insulating layer, but decided to give the L a try- glad I did as it's definitely cut a little big.

not all Montbell jackets are sized like this, I have a ExLite and it's cut less generous (also a size Large)

Viewing 2 posts - 26 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools