Topic

Patagonia Micropuff pullover or Scythe?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Patagonia Micropuff pullover or Scythe?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Chris WuWu

@sarcastic

Hello, Im in need of a all-around new jacket for the upcoming cold weather. I have a budget of below $150 maybe even lower. Ive been looking around and ive been looking at Patagonia’s Micropuff but thats way over my limit. So I looked at their discount section and ive been looking between two…
    Patagonia Micropuff Pullover $73
    or
    Patagonia Scythe Jacket $135

Im leaning more towards to Micropuff Pullover because its cheaper. Any other recommendations would also be helpful
    Thanks alot
    -Sarcastic

Matthew L.
    BPL Member

@gungadin

Locale: Pittsburgh, PA

These pieces are really quite different. The Micropuff is going to definitely be a lot warmer. I love mine and the Polarquard Delta (2.6 oz.) is quite toasty. You certainly could not do anything active in it unless it was really, really cold. For around town or camp or during breaks while hiking it is hard to beat. I have gotten tons of use out of mine. Plus it only weighs 12 oz. (actually 11) which makes it much lighter than the Scythe. The Scythe is a much different garment. It is a softshell that would be more water resistant than the Micropuff (although the MP does a solid job). It also has waterproof panels in places that would contact snow if you were skiing for instance. It has a polyester lining, but it would not be as warm as the Micropuff. It is made more for active pursuits. In addition, it weighs in the high 20 ounce range (I believe 29) so it would take up more pack space. This would translate into a more durable jacket. The shell could certainly take more abuse. I guess you have to ask yourself what you would be doing in it. If warmth is your key selling point then I would go for the Micropuff. If a jacket that isn’t as warm but is better for winter sports is your need, then I would buy the Scythe. They are both great items. Check out Patagonia’s Dillon, Montana Outlet. They had Micropuff on sale for $60 last week.

Chris WuWu

@sarcastic

Thanks alot Matthew, I was leaning towards warmth for around town (chicago weather), and when I get the chance hiking/camping. Ill definintly get the Micropuff Pullover.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools