Topic

Uretek water resistant zippers

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Uretek water resistant zippers

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

Has anybody used these? How "water resistant" are they? I want to use it on a tent and if the leaks badly that would suck. However it is on a beak so a small amount of water may be acceptable since it won't actually be in the tent only in the vestibule.

-Tim

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

I replaced the stock zipper on a rain jacket with one of these and was thoroughly satisfied. I wouldn't recommend it if the zipper was going to be over your head (as some leakage is to be expected) but in a beak application I think you'd be happy with its performance.

Linsey Budden

@lollygag

Locale: pugetropolis

How much tension will they be under? When I replaced the seized zippers on an old MGB tonneau cover with these, Seattle Fabrics warned me they would not work under heavy tension and, well, they didn't even like to stay zipped, much less keep out water.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I think these are the same as the open-ended one on the OR Zealot jacket? If so, some cautionb is needed. We found that while the zip runs freely enough, and is moderately water-resistant, threading the (open) end together to start it is an absolute PAIN! You would not want to have to do this in the rain with cold hands of gloves.

However, if you want to use a single-ended one on the beak, it should stop most of the water and work reasonably well.

Cheers

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

ok, i think i'll give it a shot.

-Tim

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools