Topic

New Water Treatment Product

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New Water Treatment Product

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

Stay tuned…announcement & pre-purchase coming to premium members in a week…

Can you say…”No Mix”?

Here’s a leetle teeny hint:

Oh, and have a great weekend, everybody!!

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Looks dark. Does it involve chocolate?!?

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

But, can you say “NO Wait to drink”?

Thank you

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson

But more importantly, can you say it’s at least as effective as Aqua Mira and doesn’t make water taste funny?

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Awe common Dr. Jordan. You have to give us more than this!

Stephan Guyenet

@guyenet

I recognize that!

It’s a dropper full of squid ink, the most potent water-purifying substance known to man.

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

Bill,

“NO Wait to drink” ==>

as i’m sure that you already know, UV-C addresses that.

signed,
    “Still a fan of AqM”

paul johnson

@pj

Kevin,

how do you spell, “at least as effective as Aqua Mira and doesn’t make water taste funny”

==> UV-C

obviously, what’s pictured is not UV-C.

at this point, AqM is my choice due to wt. can’t wait to find out what an eye dropper has to do with the process.

larry savage
    Spectator

@pyeyo

Locale: pacific northwest

A tremendously powerful mix of yak slobber and bushmaster venom,also an effective mosquito repellant?

Tony Burnett
    Spectator

@tlbj6142

Locale: OH--IO

>> UV-C addresses that.

Don’t you have to wait for the UV-C to work its magic?

kevin davidson

@kdesign

>> UV-C addresses that.

…and doesn’t use batteries and will fit in a microdropper

paul johnson

@pj

Tony,

ok. yeah. you got me.

Using AquaStar or SteriPen UV-C units, you wait approx. 45-90 seconds depending upon the recommended volume of water being treated. larger volumes would require multiple dosing, so, a bit longer.

what i meant, and should have been clearer, both in my prev. post and the prev. paragraph of this post (tryin’ to keep these posts short), is that after the 45-90 sec. dosing period, you can drink immediately.

of course you could also go the solar UV route and wait the ~6hr dosing time. but…that is another subject.

Kevin,
    good one.

Bob Gabbart

@bobg

No mix water treatment drops that do not taste bad! That will be a huge time saver. Please tell more! Why wait a week?

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Despite my lofty status as a staffer, I have absolutely no idea what Ryan & Co. are up to here.

So it’s on with the speculation hat (a nice orange for Halloween). Where ClO2 is used for residential water treatment, it’s always mixed on site because it’s too unstable and therefore, dangerous to transport from some factory.

Perhaps there’s a way around these premixing problems when small quantities are involved?

I’ll bet the farm it’s not “aerobic oxygen” or grapefruit seed oil and I’m still holding out hope for chocolate technology :-)

David Wiesenfeld

@davidwiesenfeld

Further groundless speculation (because it’s fun): Some very strong adhesives have similar problems related to mixing before use. So often when you find a “tube” of the stuff, it is actually two side-by-side syringes, each containing one of the necessary compounds. When you push down on the plunger, the two compounds mix in a little chamber just about the nozzle of the tube, and then come out, ready to glue things. Perhaps this new water treatment is something like that – a system that still mixes two compounds, but where the user just has to squeeze and make sure the drops go into the water bottle.

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

Who cares what it is………

I WANT IT
    I NEED IT
    I MUST HAVE IT

Slobber. Drool.

Wandering Bob

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

First sneaka peaka only to Forum Readers:

(M) BackpackingLight.com to Announce New Pre-Mixed, Stabilized Chlorine Dioxide Water Treatment Product

Formal announcement in the newsletter tonight. Hang tight til next week for all the goods to be completely revealed!

paul johnson

@pj

Oh…Man (er…I mean, Doc) – don’t do this to us – you’re such a tease.

Please have on hand a volume of product that would make Lake Superior seem like a rain puddle. If you don’t, you’re going to sell out in the first 50 microseconds.

Please consider putting a limit of 1 per customer (or some qty you deem appropriate based upon your available initial Stock and the # of Prem. Mbrs.). If you don’t limit it, i’ll probably order 50 B’Jillion. Hope everyone who wants some can get some to try.

Thanks for listening.

BTW, is the Vick Hines the Chemist who came up with this product??? Does it blow up or contribute to intoxication? Sorry Vick, some humor at your expense. Seriously, Vick, i really do appreciate you sharing your knowledge and experience in your Posts. Thanks.

David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

Locale: Nova Scotia, Canada

Ryan… what is the shelf life of an unopenned bottle? I don’t winter camp (at least haven’t yet) so I probably wouldn’t get to use my bottle ’til spring.

Anonymous

Just enough details to grab our attention!

How much water will it treat? Do you know how much it will cost?

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

How do the shelf lives – opened and unopened – compare to those of Aqua Mira?

Some of my Aqua Mira is approaching 2 years old.

Anonymous

Just enough details to grab our attention!

How much water will it treat? Do you know how much it will cost?

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Ryan, are there any disadvantages to the new 1 stage system compared to Aqua Mira ? Or is it a case of retaining all the advantages of the older system plus added convenience?

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

I think there will be much shorter shelf life. Shelf life for aqua mira is about two years, IIRC. Shelf life for KlearWater (guessing that is the name?) is eight months once opened IF refrigerated.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Shelf life of the new stuff:

unopened: 1 year-ish, cool, dark storage. probably close to 2 yrs if kept refrigerated.

opened: 3-4 months in a cool, dark place. 8 months if refrigerated.

UV light significantly shortens shelf life.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools