Topic

Headlamp / Hat combo

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Multiple Use Gear Headlamp / Hat combo

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

I permanently sewed my little headlamp to my hat.

I like the PETZL e+Lite (0.8 oz with the band removed). There is a simple metal wire that is used as an attachment system. But, it's awkward. It feels like it takes some angst with my fingernails to get it on a hat, and it's really hard in the dark.

And – I have a really simple lightweight pile hat, (1.2 oz). Now, for a mere 2 ounces, I have both forever connected.

Here's my nerdy gimmick. I clamped the light on the hat, and then sewed it in place. Now it's permanently attached to my hat. Easy!

If it's dark enough to need a light, I don't need my sun at with a brim. If it's cold enough to need my hat, it's probably dark. I never have to search for a tiny lamp in my pack (But, I still need to search for my hat)

joe newton
    BPL Member

@holdfast

Locale: Bergen, Norway

Great idea. Any chance of some pictoral instructions?

Michael Mangold

@mkmangold

I did something similar yet different enough. I have the 9voltlight (http://www.9voltlight.com/)and a lightweight 9 volt solar battery charger. I glued a velcro strip onto 2 rechargeable 9 volt batteries and sewed the other velcro strip to the underside of my cap brim. I also carry a spare alkaline 9 volt battery just in case the sun don't shine.

Nathan Moody
    BPL Member

@atomick

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Nice one, Dr. C!

I use Photon Freedom Micro Lights and always wear billed headwear, so I gaffer-tapped the smallest binder clips I could find to them to lose the bigger, clunky jobbies that came in the box. Additional weight, with tape: 1.25 grams!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools