Topic

Anyone tried REI’s silk baselayer?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Anyone tried REI’s silk baselayer?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

I was at REI the other day and saw their very lightweight silk baselayers. I am considering getting these for sleeping use for Florida summer nights to protect my quilt from sweat.

I am very familiar with poly and wool baselayers but the lightness of these silks impressed me! One would hardly notice that they are in the pack.

BTW. The women's tops came in v-neck long sleeve and camisole and actually looked like something in a nice mall rather than a sporting goods store!

Here's a link:

http://www.rei.com/product/698975

Bob Ellenberg

@bobthebuilder

My wife and I both have a set of long silk underwear that we bought at REI and love them. We almost always sleep in them and if it is too warm crack open the bags because the silk makes sleeping so much more comfortable. They are our base layer when it is cold enough but in modest spring and fall weather we shed them before we start hiking and use two other layers where the outer one can be peeled off. In very cold weather they are too light of course.

Eric Noble
    BPL Member

@ericnoble

Locale: Colorado Rockies

I love mine. I sleep in them every night to protect the bedding from my oily skin. I've never used them backpacking, however. They've held up really well until my wife washed her bra with them. Now they have holes but the holes haven't worsened over time. The stretch weave of these is great.

David Schroeder

@six2

Locale: PNW

It's hard to beat the weight, and they feel great on the skin.

I haven't actually put them on my postal scale, but they make my favorite light, dry clothes to change into in camp.

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

Whoa! Thanks for the wholehearted response! That confirms my thoughts while looking at then in the store.

I have since seen Terramar brand silks,sold by Sirra Trading Post! at about 1/2 the price of the REI's. I wonder if I'll be glad I saved the money or sorry I made a bad decision?

I definitely want them to be lightweight to protect the sleeping bag in summer, not for insulation

Anonymous
    Inactive

Michael,
    You should be fine with the Terramars. I happily used them for several years before switching to L. L. Bean's version to save another .5 oz. Sick, huh? Now THAT is a decision I regret.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools