Topic

Differences between winter and 3 season pack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Differences between winter and 3 season pack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Christopher Williams

@clwilla

Locale: The Bluegrass

As I start to plan what might be included in my winter/shoulder season light pack, I'm discovering that it will be significantly heavier (and bulkier) than my summer/spring pack.

How much of a weight difference do you see in your packs for different seasons? A percentage is fine, approximate numbers are also good.

Thanks

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

I'd say 2-3 lbs for me has been the norm in the past but we don't have a real winter season in the SE.

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

My weight doubles, but my volume more than doubles.

The reasons? ….
    Obviously layers of warm clothing.
    Switch from alcohol stove to inverted canister stove.
    Heavier, bulkier sleeping bag/quilt.
    More sleeping pad insulation.
    More food. (warming energy).
    Got to positively stay dry – rain pants, dry bags.
    Water crossing shoes (crocs).
    Snowshoes/crampons(love my Kahtoola Microspikes).

Then there is the intangible component. Since winter is not forgiving, I tend to err on the side of caution when packing, which I'm sure adds more than few ounces.

bobby c

@bobbycartwright

Locale: i don't need no stinkin badges!

My winter pack weight for 3-4 days without food and water is around 12 lbs. I'm in the SE but it does get cold here. We stayed in Butter Gap in Pisgah NF last new year's and it got down to 9 degrees one night. And that was in a wooden shelter. Here's a link to my list…

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pxI-ZJwTuelulf8hHrohUZw

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools