Topic

Yogurt Leather

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    David Noll
    BPL Member

@dpnoll

Locale: Maroon Bells

Have any of you ever prepared yogurt leather? I would like to try it, but am unsure how to go about it. There are a couple of recipes that I found on the internet; one calls for plain yogurt and any fruit, another calls for flavored yogurt. Also, spreading like a leather, or spoon drops is mentioned.
    Any insight you have would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Mary D. Noll

Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@pkh

Locale: Nova Scotia

I have done this several times and it makes for a nice change on the trail. The technique is pretty well the same as for fruit leather. That is, spread it about 14 inch or so thick on lined dehydrator trays and go for it. The result should be dry and pliable like leather. It's pretty if you can roll it up nicely but don't worry if you have to break it up into pieces. I find it keeps for several months in the freezer. I suppose it would last weeks at room temperature but it is such a tasty snack that I've never been able to give it a real test. Most of the time I've dried fruity yogurts but plain yogurt makes a fine and nutritious addition to many meals – curries in particular.

Cheers

David Noll
    BPL Member

@dpnoll

Locale: Maroon Bells

Thanks Duane! I made a batch overnight with strawberry yogurt but I must have spread it too thin, or left it in the dehydrator too long. Although it was fairly easy to roll the first half with a little breaking, the other half crumbled quite a bit as I rolled it.
    I'll make another batch today and follow your 1/4 advice experimenting with fresh fruit and plain yogurt. You're right, it's quite tasty, nutritious and very lightweight!

Best regards!

Mary

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools