Topic

Making a Bivy

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Making a Bivy

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Patrick Slattery

@slats32

I'm about to try to make a Meteor Bivy but have a couple questions before I start cutting and sewing.

1. Do I have to sear the edges of the the silnylon and breathable ripstop fabrics? Just the breathable fabric? or neither?

2. Is a simple seem adequate for joining the two fabrics or do I have to do a felled seem? French seam?
    Or is it dependent on whether I sear the fabric edges?

Thanks.

Derek Cox
    Spectator

@derekcox

Locale: Southeast

Hey Patrick-

I am by no means the authority when it comes to myog, but i am happy with my meteor bivy, so i will answer your questions to the best of my knowledge. I did not sear the edges of the fabric and have not noticed any problems. Just make sure to use sharp, preferably fabric cutting, scissors. My mother helped with the sewing but Im fairly certain she just did a normal seem. It could be because i didnt accurately mark out the design on the fabric, but i had to evenly bunch the fabric of the foot end in order for the two pieces to fit together correctly. It worked out fine though. Others may have some advice to prevent this. Any more questions feel free to ask. i will probably be away from the computer for a couple days but someone else should be able to help you out.

-Derek

Jan Rezac
    BPL Member

@zkoumal

Locale: Prague, CZ

Breathable fabrics should be seared, it is not necessary for silnylon. Simpleseam is all you need to join the fabrics. Flat seam (sewing the seam allowance to the fabrics) make the thing look better and adds some strength. More advanced seams (flat felled, french) look nice even from inside.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

my 2cents…

use 3/4" seam allowance and sew 1/4" on outside. turn inside out and sew 1/2" (french seam) then the raw edge is hiden inside the tube (which is on the inside of the bivy)and it looks nice on the inside and outside. I never sear on a seam like this.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools