Topic

Any options beyond NIghtlight and Ridgerest?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Any options beyond NIghtlight and Ridgerest?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

I am a side sleeper and would like to use a closed cell instead of an inflatable like my Big Agnes Insulated Aircore. I have a Gossamer Gear Nightlight but need a little bit more padding than the 3/4". Is there anything light to add to it or another one out there than the Ridgerest because it weighs too much. Thanks.

Gordon Dunn

@egads

Locale: South East

Scoop out a hollow in the ground for your hips. Helps and doesn't weigh anything.

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

Tylenol PM or your alcohol of choice. Also, a GG Thinlight helps helps a surprising amount.

Adam

Russell Swanson

@rswanson

Locale: Midatlantic

You might try laminating another piece of foam to your GG pad. Get some 3M spray adhesive and add another layer of padding to the bottom. Look at the GG thinlight pads.

Eric Noble
    BPL Member

@ericnoble

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Brett, I'm a hammock sleeper who is trying to get comfortable on the ground as well. I'm not there yet but this is my approach. I cut a sit pad from the 3/4" egg crate Nightlite. This mates with my pad of the same material when I go to bed. I position it so it's right at the small of my back. With the egg crates facing each other the sit pad does not move at all on my pad. I'm going to do what Russell suggests and laminate some additional foam to both pads. What can I say, I'm a big guy who needs a lot of padding. I also made a pot cozy that opens flat when not in use that will be part of my sleep pad system.

Ross Bleakney
    BPL Member

@rossbleakney

Locale: Cascades

Nowadays, I usually add a ThinLight to my NightLight. It adds a bit of comfort and warmth. Both pads grip very well, so it is easy to keep them together.

Russell Swanson

@rswanson

Eric,
    I do something similar when I'm on a longer trip (4 nights+). I use a GG nightlight and I am generally ok with the pad. I can get a few aches after consecutive usage of just this pad, so I take along two sections from a Thermarest ZRest pad to supplement either my hips or shoulders, depending on which part is getting sore. I'll use forest duff to help, too…

Nathan Moody
    BPL Member

@atomick

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Ditto to Ross' approach for me, works great for me (and I have to say, the combo is really, really warm for the weight). Dumb question: Have you experimented flipping the NightLight's eggcrate up vs. down? People seem to prefer it one way or the other and notice significant comfort differences.

Russell Swanson

@rswanson

I don't notice any difference…up or down. Usually lay the bumpy part face down, just out of habit I guess.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Which Thinlight are most people using or have found to be the most versatile?

Nathan Moody
    BPL Member

@atomick

I use the 1/8" with a torso-length NightLight, from shoulders to feet.

Russell Swanson

@rswanson

Brett,

If you're looking for additional padding, I'd probably suggest the 3/8". Cut to size to supplement the Nightlight, your probably only looking at a few ounces of additional weight.

You might also consider just chopping up a WalMart blue foam pad. It will be cushier than the Thinlight but might weigh a tad more. Fairly cheap to test this option as well.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Nathan, no such thing as a 1/8" nightlight? I thought all 1/8" pads were thinlights.

Nathan Moody
    BPL Member

@atomick

I meant I use the 1/8" (ThinLight) with the Nightlight…

"No time for full sentences, Dr. Jones!" :-)

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

I actually get some double density egg crate foam in at work so I will try some off that to boost it and see how it does. Thanks.

David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte

Egg crate down if in snow or rain. The cups catch the precip.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools