Topic

Adding Photographs

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Administration & Support Website & Forum Support Adding Photographs

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Joseph Reeves
    Spectator

@umnak

Locale: Southeast Alaska

I've tried to upload and insert a photograph twice in the past few days with no success. I have been able to in the past. Any help on this would be appreciated. It is because I am using an Apple?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

It may be that the photo you are trying to upload is coming from a web site which does not permit that. Try using a photo from your own computer.

David Ure

@familyguy

nm

Joseph Reeves
    Spectator

@umnak

Locale: Southeast Alaska

I've been trying to use photographs from my desktop by dragging them from iPhoto.

Here is another attempt that has somehow worked! I downsized the file and that seemed to have helped a lot. This is what I had tried to upload earlier, the tarp at Bare Loon Lake on the Chilkoot Trail in British Columbia for more photographs seehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/umnak tarp at bare loon lake, chilkoot trail,

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

If adding files that were imported to your computer directly from your digital camera there is a good chance they are very large files. Re-sizing them before attempting to upload them to BPL (or other Web sites as well) is recommended. A suggested size would be in the 800×600 pixel range as this will provide an optimal viewing size for most people's computer screens.

Since you mentioned you were using Apple's iPhoto an easy way to do what I suggested above is to click on the thumbnail of the photo in iPhoto, and select "Export" from the "File" menu. From the dialog box that opens you can tell iPhoto to export a .jpg file of medium quality and medium size to be saved whereever you choose (say your Desktop for ease of finding it). Once saved you can then use the "Insert Image at Cursor" button on the BPL forum, click "Browse", find the file you just saved, upload and all should be well.

* note, I should add that I posted this long description for others who may be encountering this same issue, as you have obviously figured it out judging by the lovely tarp photo you posted ; )

Kevin Kerstens
    BPL Member

@kjkerstens

Locale: BC Canada

Umnak,

Your photos are awesome, I am just getting into tarp camping and was wondering what make/model of bivy sacks are you using or recommend. There seems to be a wide assortment of bivies available, some are just simple shells to some that look like small tents. In addition what size/make of tarp do you recommend.

Thanks in advance, Kevin.

Ryan Hutchins

@ryan_hutchins

Locale: Somewhere out there

You can also get a FREE Flickr account and then upload your pictures there. There is an option to link from Flickr to other sites and you can just cut and past that link into BPL and in goes the photo, for larger sizes people can click the image and it takes you to the Flickr page. plus, there are a couple lightweight backpacking photo groups on Flickr too!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools