Topic

First timer doing Rae Lakes Loop in Kings Canyon

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
PostedJul 22, 2008 at 5:04 pm

Anyone have any insight for a first time backpacker doing the Rae lakes loop in Kings Canyon?

Is it difficult?? I will be going mid August. Im going for about 4-5 days. Should I pack for Cold weather?

I am struggling to make a decision on a boot to buy. I here two different sides.

one says to go light. that its an easy hike and i don't need anything more than a light weight day hiker.

The other says to get an actual backpacking boot with good support and waterproof. My only concern is that this might be a little heavy being my first time doing something like this. Also being Im not used to wearing boots I feel I may loose a little agility.

Thanks for any info you may have.

Rick Dreher BPL Member
PostedJul 22, 2008 at 5:38 pm

Hi Anthony,

Mid-August weather is typically warm and mild, but you have to consider nighttime temps at high altitude and what temps you're conditioned to when selecting clothing. Hiking wear will likely be shorts and t-shirt unless you get storms (check the forecast before leaving).

I can't think of a reason to have heavy waterproof boots, as it will be mostly dry with no major snowfield or stream crossings. Good quality trail runners with aggressive soles should be fine–just make sure they fit! You've got a lot of climbing and descending ahead.

I've hiked the general area, but not the loop itself. This NPS summary gives a good overview. It's not a terribly long hike, but all that elevation gain will provide a fine workout :-)

Good planning, and have a wonderful trip.

http://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/rae-lakes-loop.htm

Hiker 816 BPL Member
PostedJul 22, 2008 at 5:45 pm

I've done that loop before a couple times. Absolutely gorgeous. But, when you say you're a first timer, do you mean first time doing the Rae Lakes loop or first time backpacking ever? If it's your first time backpacking ever, it might be better to start with a shorter weekend trip. Otherwise you might find this trip a bit more than bargained for, and it might turn you off to what otherwise you'd find is an awesome activity.

As far as boots or shoes go, nearly everyone (on this site at least) is now using shoes for 3 season backpacking, but generally as part of an entire system that is lightweight. Running shoes with a 90 lb load isn't a very good idea. Of course, I think heavy boots with a 90 lb load isn't a good idea either.

Maybe you can post more info about what you're planning on carrying and your experience, and people can provide more specific suggestions.

PostedJul 22, 2008 at 6:35 pm

anthony –

It's not that big a deal, but in the future try to only post your question in only 1 thread. BTW, you are lucky to have stumbled upon this site early on in your backpacking career. I have learned so much from normal content/articles and especially the forums.

Aaron Sorensen BPL Member
PostedJul 22, 2008 at 8:58 pm

Hey Anthony,
I am up to 6 times now.
3 times over a 2 day period and 3 times in 1 day.

Is it hard?
Ha, Ha, Ha, HA…

The first entire day you are doing nothing but climbing.

You also are starting at around 5,800' and toping out at almost 12,000' at the top of Glen Pass.

I would say boot for you but it depends how much you are carrying on how heavy of a boot I would go.

Going Clockwise is almost like climbing up steps all the way to Upper Paradise. Then going up Glen that way means technical (rocky) switchbacks with the possibility of navigating around some snow. Then you have a fast down back to the end.

going Counter Clockwise is easier but the climbing never ends and going down from Upper Paradise is never ending on the knees.

You will pay and swear at your self for every pound of non-necessities you bring.

Hey, but the trip is a must!
Absolutely gorgeous…

PostedJul 23, 2008 at 1:05 am

Thanks everyone for your input.

This is my first time backpacking at all. I have done camping and day hikes but never carrying my whole load for many miles on end. I am going with a small group who have done backpacking trips before but never this trip.

We are going counter clockwise and hitting up Glen Pass early on. I dont know if its the permits we have or what the people Im going with decided to do. Maybe to go opposite of other campers?

I am not exactly sure the weight of my pack. I am in the process of putting my supplies together. Most of it is borrowed but it seems to be pretty decent gear for "keeping it lighter". I see that not knowing the weight of my pack makes it harder to answer my questions. (Guessing) I will try to keep it under 50 lbs. I will try to get an idea of pack weight as soon i can

I asked about waterproof because I read a blog from someone who has done this hike and it rained 2 of the 4 days.

I just started training and plan to train more and more before I go for as much prep as possible.

Thanks again for everyones input, it all is appreciated.

-Anthony

Ken Helwig BPL Member
PostedJul 23, 2008 at 7:40 am

the Rae Lakes loop can be done in either direction. Your choice once you pick up your permit. I would go clockwise for many reasons, but for you hike your own hike. You might get some rain, but that will be late afternoon thunder storms. What month are you going. If it is late Aug or during the month of Sept. Thunder storms are not a prevelant. 50 pounds is quite a lot of weight. In my heavier days I did that loop with more weight and I was miserable. I loved the hike but the load made it less enjoyable. Since you are new to backpacking, take your time going light. See if you enjoy backpacking before looking into going light. Now I am not saying ditch all thing light, just be cognisant of weight. I would go on a few overnighters first to see if you enjoy this. A multi day hike is much different than an overnighter but it will at least give you some ideas for what works best for you. Keep in mind that The Rae Lakes Loop is around 43 miles with nearly 7000 ft elevation gain, as well as nearly 7000 ft evelation loss. Good luck and enjoy the hike. It is an awesome hike

PostedAug 6, 2008 at 8:13 am

I'll be there on the weekend of the 15th of this month, maybe we'll cross paths. I'm not doing the Rae Lakes Loop, I'm doing a loop from the eastern side which puts me at Rae Lakes and Sixty Lakes Basin at the midpoint of my trip.

I would agree that if you're carrying a 40-50 lb. load boots are the best choice, I would still try to keep them light though. You'll be lifting your feet 1,000's of times, the lighter they are the better.

When your putting your gear together, try to think about what you really need and what is just an extra camp luxury. Since you're going in a group, try to share the group gear items with your partners, i.e. tents, cooking systems, water filters, etc. These are all items which can be divided up into each persons pack.

PostedAug 6, 2008 at 4:05 pm

I'm curious why Gardiner Basin doesn't come up in discussions of the Rae Lakes Loop. It's right there, just west of 60 Lakes Basin and would make a very nice 1-2 day addition to the loop or, perhaps even better, a return leg with an exit down Charlotte Creek which pops you out on the Bubbs Creek Trail 6 or so miles from TH. It's a beautiful area and far less crowded(or was when I was there), one of those oft-overlooked little gems. Just a thought.

Ken Helwig BPL Member
PostedAug 6, 2008 at 6:17 pm

always wanted to visit Gardiner Basin and 60 Lakes Basin. From what I have seen their is a use trail that goes most of the way up the pass on the North side (Charlotte Dome area) One day, one day, I will do it!!!

PostedAug 20, 2008 at 4:53 pm

I am doing Rae Lakes Loop next week. I assume that water
sources are frequent and reliable in that area. Is this a safe assumption? We are going clockwise.

I am hoping I won't need to carry more than 2 – 3 liters
at a time. I sweat and drink alot.

Thanks for any help.

PostedAug 20, 2008 at 5:37 pm

Thank you everyone who gave me insight on this trip. It was an awesome experience that has me hooked. I can see why a few of you had recommended the clockwise direction. It was a slower and steeper two day climb to Glen pass going counterclockwise but I would not change my experience for anything.

Darren, you will be around water most of the loop. I had 2 water bottles (total 56oz) That worked fine. There were only a few times I was rationing not being sure of when I would hit water again. Even though I had seen people drinking right out of the stream I was very glad to have a water filter. There were times that I found very small ponds that were my only source of water and filtration was a must.

I was proud on how light my pack was for my first backpacking trip. It was approx 35lbs. Not bad for having borrowed gear and 15lbs of food in my bear canister. Each day it was getting lighter. I now see where I can go relatively lighter for my next trip.

It is a great hike and wish you the best of fun.

-Anthony

PostedAug 20, 2008 at 6:15 pm

I did want to go to Gardiner Basin and also Charlotte lake but time didn’t permit. If I go back I will be sure to go.

Anyone have a recommended hike as good as this one?

-Anthony

Scott Bentz BPL Member
PostedAug 22, 2008 at 1:20 pm

"I now see where I can go relatively lighter for my next trip."

That's the way I learned to go lighter. Each trip I took stock of what I used and did not use. Also, as I went along I added items that weighed less. Before you know it you'll be SUL.

PostedAug 22, 2008 at 6:27 pm

Hi Anthony or anybody else-
I will be backpacking in the Sierras at about 10,000 feet in a couple of weeks and I am in the middle of making some clothing decisions. I am wondering what you brought and if it was enough to keep you warm in the evening, or if it was perhaps too much.

I figure I will be dressing light for the day – t-shirt and lite weight pants, but I am unsure of what I'd need for evening the night. So far I'll have a light syntheitc T, light wool base layer, fleece hoodie (R1) and a windshirt, and dri ducks raingear. I'm trying to figure out if I should add something like Montbell UL down inner parka, Patagoia micropuff, or if I'll need a warmer down, or synthetic vest, jacket, or parka. I have a Western Mountaineering Megalite bag so I might be sleeping in it with this outside layer too.

PostedAug 22, 2008 at 8:14 pm

Hi Terry,

I did a short section (50 miles) of the JMT last year in early September and for my torso I brought:

• Cap 1 t-shirt
• Cap 2 long sleeve zip-neck
• Houdini wind shirt
• Micro-puff pull over

This worked out well and covered a wide range of temperatures. I wore the Cap 1 t-shirt while hiking (it was hot) and would switch to the Cap 2 in camp because my hiking shirt was usually damp and it was cold at night. It was also nice just to have something clean to wear.

I’m doing mostly the same this year but switching the Cap 1 t-shirt to the Patagonia Sun-Tech shirt so I don’t have to wear sun block on my arms.

PostedAug 23, 2008 at 4:53 pm

Hi Terry,
For early Sept, you should be fine with the upper body clothing you listed if the windshirt has a hood. Otherwise, you might consider purchasing a lightweight windproof beanie, such as the Mountain Hardwear Transition Featherweight Dome(1 oz), or its equivalent. Alternatively, you could wear your Dri Ducks which has a hood if your head starts to feel cold. You might also want to consider picking up a lightweight wool base layer for your lower body, such as Icebreaker, Smartwool, or Ibex Woolies for lounging around camp, or in the bag if the temperature suddenly drops more than normal at night.

PostedAug 23, 2008 at 9:46 pm

Thanks for the info and suggestions on clothing. This board has been very helpful.

I'm trying to find a good website to check the weather in the Sierras before I head out there. I have no problem finding forecasts for the surrounding valley towns but I haven't found a website for high elevations in the mountains. I'll be in the Ansel Adams wilderness.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
Loading...