Topic

Mountain Hardware goods

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Mountain Hardware goods

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Just back from a Mountain Hardware clinic, where we were plied with beer from our finest local microbrews and catered food whilst hearing a speil on the latest from this estimable firm.

They are fairly tone deaf to UL clothing and equipment and continue to push their proprietary PU based W/B–Conduit– and are totally beholden to Gore-tex for their higher end clothing. No eVENT for them–name recognition issues. They seem very into the concept hybrid hard/softshells built around their Conduit and Gore’s Windstopper. They will have one lighterweight softshell (sub 16 oz.) using windstopper and powerstretch–the women’s model actually being better designed w/ trick inner sleeves and thumbholes.

They are introducing one item of note— a 3 person singlewall (Conduit, again) bomber tent using some very interesting non-Easton aluminum poles that weighs in at 6 lbs. (more or less)—-called the EV-3. It looks like the earlier Ed Vie surs’ speced 2 person EV-2. This is a very cool, not real cramped 3 person expedition tent, too.

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

Mtn H/W cust. srv.

has anyone ever rcv’d a response fr/MtnHW cust srv email address on their webpage?

over a period of several months, i sent multiple emails to them asking them questions about their products, very simple questions. more specifically, what are the diffs. b/t their two lines of synthetic sleeping bags. why should i purchase one instead of the other.

received no indication on my end that any of the emails were undeliverable.

never even one response from them. why do they even have their email address on their website, if they, seemingly, don’t care to answer potential customers’ questions? are they so big that they don’t want to make a sale?

Anonymous

Both their tone deafness to UL and lack of customer service could have something to do with their recent purchase by Columbia Sportswear, which is neither the most innovative nor the nicest outdoor equipment company out there…if they adopt CSW’s corporate culture, prepare for further disappointment.

Anonymous

Both their tone deafness to UL and lack of customer service could have something to do with their recent purchase by Columbia Sportswear (CSW), which is neither the most innovative nor the nicest outdoor equipment company out there…if they adopt CSW’s corporate culture, prepare for further disappointment.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

A quick FYI to anon. — it’s Mountain Hardwear.

Richard Nelridge
    Spectator

@naturephoto1

Locale: Eastern Pennsylvania

Ben,

As far as I know, Mountain Hardwear was purchased by Columbia. But, I was under the understanding that they were going to take a hands off approach. That may however not be the case.

Rich

David Ure

@familyguy

Paul,

sorry to hear about your experience with MH. I have always had my e-mails responded to within a couple of days. Perhaps calling them direct may be of more value (?). I find e-mail consistently impersonal anyway and speaking with someone live does wonders for clearing up questions or issues.

In contrast, I have had problems with Sierra Designs in getting a straight answer on their designs and technology both by e-mail and phone call.

paul johnson

@pj

David,

many thanks for the reply and suggestion. i may give it a try. probably not right away any longer, since, due to their non-response, my pennies are now being saved for a quilt instead of a bag. thanks again.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Actually, MH does respond — sort of. I emailed them a catalog request at the beginning of the year… and one came in the mail just two days ago!

paul johnson

@pj

you know Ben, maybe they did reply to me. since i emailed them with my question, they have been sending me catalogs. i hadn’t connected the two. not really what i wanted, and i sure don’t need more paper to recycle. i’d ask them to stop, but i may then receive two catalogs each time instead!???

John Chan

@ouroboros

I’ve emailed MH about several issues in the past regarding my Trango 2 and they were always quick to respond and suggest a rapid resolution.

I think MH is still a pretty innovative company (compared to TNF) but there are so many more smaller companies that provide a greater level of customer service and after sales support.

Of course, you pay a price for all that… but it hasn’t dissuaded me from patronizing these excellent establishments.

I’m thinking of companies like Nunatak (in particular).

John.

David Ure

@familyguy

Hey Paul, gear catalogues are great. I mean, what else are you going to read on the throne?

paul johnson

@pj

David,

y’all here in the Forums remind me of my co-workers – very funny guys (both groups of you).

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools