Topic

Texas Trail in the Heat!!!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Texas Trail in the Heat!!!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Michael Wands

@walksoftly

Locale: Piney Woods

Went out this weekend to the Cross Timbers Hiking Trail at Lake Texoma (The Red River at the Texas-Oklahoma Border) Temperature was 102 degrees. Needless to say, I was the only hiker on the trail.

Had a great time. I'd like to share some of the things that went well:

1. Hiked in Sandals – used some Air Nike sandals and Thorlo socks. Had to wash my socks twice on the trail, but they did protect my feed from puncture by twigs. Got the idea from Samarai Joe. Had no hot spots at all. Will do this again.

2. Katahdin Pocket Filter – a lot of agricultural runoff from West Texas finds its way into the Red River. Wanted to filter out the chemicals. Started trip with 1 1/2 liters. Wound out drinking 9 liters. The rest I pulled from the lake. Did a great job – slow but thorough.

3. GO-LED light from Radio Shack – saw this on the forum and had some from last Christmas. Bright light – little weight – long life.

4. GoLite Rush Pack – Only 1,100 cubic inches, but you don't need ANY insulation when it is 102. Fits like a glove yet my back was not all sweaty. Great features.

Not everything went without a hitch. I learned that "Sweet & Salty" bars do melt and that piles of leaves (for making a bed) often house all sorts of creepy bugs.

John Myers
    BPL Member

@dallas

Locale: North Texas

That's a nice little trail. We hiked it a couple of times for our Philmont training hikes. It was 'only' 97 degrees when we hiked it, but the heat sure did take it's toll on us.

Cross Timbers Trail

Glenn Dixon

@dixonge

Let me know when the daytime high drops below 90…….

Jeremy Greene
    Spectator

@tippymcstagger

I'll have to check out that trail. Looks like there is some shade. Hiking is seldom the primary focus in Texas parks.

You mention bugs in your leaf bed. Were you floorless? I only do that here in winter or on the beach.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools