Topic

Fishing in Wyoming

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Fishing & Tenkara Fishing in Wyoming

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Mark Daskilewicz
    BPL Member

@markdask

Locale: South Jersey

I'm daydreaming of making a trip to the Wind Rivers around Labor Day. I made a few backpacking trips there in the 70's and enjoyed the trout fishing along with the spectacular scenery. I used to get a nonresident 5-day license for $5. However I just visited the WY G&F website and they only list nonresident 1-day licenses ($14) and annual licenses ($92). Is it true they no longer sell 5 or 10 day licenses? I wouldn't mind paying $30-40 for a short term license, but a C-note? Maybe I'll just enjoy the scenery.

Scott Peterson

@scottalanp

Locale: Northern California

Let us know what you find out if you research further. I was going to go to the Winds in 09, and would love to fish. But $100 is too much! Especially given the location I went to in the High Sierra's last month.

Having fished several times in Montana "hot spots", I would say that while most of the Sierra's trout are not nearly as large, they can be just as fun to catch…and knowing that the blood lines on some trout in that region are very pure. You just have to be willing to walk a little farther.

Either way, the Winds seems like a great place to hike. Enjoy!

Bryant Burton
    BPL Member

@moabrocks

Some friends and I just got back from a 6 day trek into the Winds on the Indian side. The week pass is $85 now but the fishing was great. The whole crew caught a ton of fish … most cuts and bows in the 18 to 20 inch range. We did land a few bigger but not many. Another group we meet on their way out had a run in with a black bear messing up their camp and tearing into one guys pack. Best if you visit to keep your spray close and your food hung.
    Photobucket

Photobucket

windrivers

Scott Peterson

@scottalanp

NICE!!!! Thanks for sharing. Definitely going in 09! Any recommendations for location, flies, anything…please pass along.

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

Bryant,

Is that a Cabelas 7 piece travel rod by chance? I'm thinking of acquiring one of these. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Great photos of your trip!

Randall Dee
    BPL Member

@speyguy

Locale: Cascadia

Dang…..nice fish. Looks like a great fishing destination. Thanks for sharing!!

Bryant Burton
    BPL Member

@moabrocks

You are right … the pole and reel are both from Cabalas but not the 7 piece travel rod … just a 4 piece 5 weight cheep one. We have been back in to various spots in the Winds for the last 4 years. Some years are better than others but almost always a Parachute Adams works. Some years they hit bigger ones others small as you can tie on. This year hoppers, Caddis and blue winged olives were hot. You can also nymph and do well.

John Mowery

@mow

Locale: Minnesota, USA

Funny. I leave tomorrow for a five night six day jaunt through the Winds. Searching for Goldens….

Scott,
    I've done a lot of research and the best book out there is Fly Fishing the Rocky Mountain Backcountry by Rich Ostoff. If you'd like a more detailed report after I get back PM me and we can converse via email.

John Mowery

@mow

Locale: Minnesota, USA

Well, I hiked to Lake Victor caught some nice cutts and then the weather changed from summer to winter. We waited a day, the weather got worse so we hiked out. My hiking partner and I never made it to our final destination.

Next summer, I guess?

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

I spent a week over Labor Day as well and have spent some 11 months total time there over the past 35 years. I have not ever "officially" fished there. I have moved some trapped fish due to low water levels from shallow pools in streams to open water from time to time. Most of my time is spent off trail and this past trip was no different, although the winter-like weather made it a bit more exciting. We got pinned down at a little over 12,000 ft for a couple of days waiting for the snow to subside, but as always enjoyed the trip.

Scott Peterson

@scottalanp

Sounds like great adventures. I will get the books and pick a route…and then plan to avoid September! While I like challenges, weather that ends the trip would not be ideal after spending hundreds of dollars to fly there.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools